New Cichlid tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Getting a new Cichlid tank. Will a 65g 36"L 18"D 24"H be appropriate for cichlids. Not sure because of the short length and tall height. Afraid it's gonna be overcrowded.
Thanks

I would try to do at least a 4 foot tank unless you were doing dwarf cichlids

It will depend on which you are interested in. I have 4 severums ranging from 4 to 6 inches with 3 3" geophagus in a 75 and the aggression is starting so im moving them to a 125 6' in feb. My 55 has a carpintis by its self and it will stay a wet pet and be moved to the 75. In the 65 there are some that will work like firemouths or convicts. There are more but I would suggest looking on live aquaria or another site like that and see what you like. Then reserch the requirements for the fish you like or ask on here.

It will depend on which you are interested in. I have 4 severums ranging from 4 to 6 inches with 3 3" geophagus in a 75 and the aggression is starting so im moving them to a 125 6' in feb. My 55 has a carpintis by its self and it will stay a wet pet and be moved to the 75. In the 65 there are some that will work like firemouths or convicts. There are more but I would suggest looking on live aquaria or another site like that and see what you like. Then reserch the requirements for the fish you like or ask on here.

I have severums and a parrot in a 55g right now. I'm planning on moving them to the bigger tank.

Really the 65 by cichlid standards is smaller. The footprint is more important than gallons.

I agree. Alright well im gonna have to find an alternative.

I have a question for you though because you seem to be knowledgeable. What should I do with the community fish that I have I have gouramis, barbs, and rainbow sharks I can't have them with more aggressive fish in the next tank so I wanna get rid of them.

I would call any pet shops you have around you and see if they will take them. You may get a little store credit for them. I have made a couple bad choices and my local fish store will take them back. The other option if you are in the states is craigs list.

The tank is not a bad size for cichlids, I would say no for South American unless you do convicts, or (the smaller ones). Nothing that can grow above 8 inches. I would say African cichlids would be good, most of the ones from the fish store do not get extremely big. Just be smart with your purchases.

I have a 65 with the same dimensions, got it for the same reason too, fit perfect in my living room. I have kept South Americans with similar fish as your current stock. You could try to add a festivum, and keyhole to your current stock and it should be fine. If your interested in that. If you want to do all South Americans that you could try a festivum, a keyhole, and a rainbow with 2 blue rams, and a school of cory cats. Or a fire mouth, a geophagus, and 3 spotted Raphael catfish.

Pet smart has a 65 gal./ stand combo that's 48 x 13 x 24 made by marineland

Back
Top Bottom