New Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngster54

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I have a 55 gallon tank with not to many fish in it. I would like to change my boring tank into a colorful, exciting cichlid tank. I will take my fish I have now and give them to my friend for his tank. I have attached a pic of my tank. The dimensions are 35.5 in x14.5in x 20in.
I was thinking of having African Cichlids from Lake Malawi. I have done a lot of research on how to set up my new tank but still have some questions.
Egg Crates; Do I use one for the bottom of my tank or not? I heard it is more difficult to clean if you do put one in. If I should get one where can I buy them?
Rocks; I am planning on getting a couple of "cichlid rocks" and the rest from my backyard and boil them for 10 minutes. How many rocks from my backyard should I put in the tank? Do you recommend stacking rocks outside of aquarium first then put them in? Is silicone aquarium glue good to use for the rocks? Please post pictures of your hardscape and how you did it.
Well that's about it. Sorry about putting so much I have a lot of questions about this topic and want to make sure my tank Is perfect for the fish and they will love it. If you have any other suggestions or anything please tell me. Don't forget to post your beautiful African Cichlid tanks to give me an idea on how to set up my rocks.
Thank you everyone!!:):)

I say go with peacock cichlids. Theres no rule abt how much rock. just give them plenty of rock scaping. Plenty of substrate to move and dig pits. Make sure your rock is stable cause they love to rearrange tanks on there own by moving substrate. Aquarium silicone is fine for your rock scape builds. I breed many peacocks and other cichlids and i have never used an egg crate... So no its not necessary.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The egg crates are used if you want real plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom