New Cichlid Tank Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interbreeding within the same class/species or doesnt really mater?

You don't want them to interbreed. Any mouthbrooder can interbreed with another. Some are worse than others.
Examples IMO
-rustys are at the top of my list to breed with about anything.
-Yellow fin mbamba will interbreed with a yellow lab.

That's just a couple that are really bad. There are many more

Ok, last question, for a little while anyway. Like I said, my tank is 70 gallon, with an emperor 400, and a fluval 406, hydor 1050, and a tetra ap 150.
My dimensions are kind of weird though, it's almost four foot long, only a foot deep, and about thirty inches high. I already have a ten pack of cichlid stones, the "big pack". I also plan on getting a good amount of rocks, creating an ample amount of hiding spaces; how many cichlids can live happily in this tank?

Around 20 mbuna ( give or take some) if you can stick with one's under 5" smaller the better. Haps should be in a 6' tank so you can't have them. Peacocks should be stocked at a lower amount then the above given number. They can be stocked with some mbuna like labs or other pretty peaceful mbuna.

Around 20 mbuna ( give or take some) if you can stick with one's under 5" smaller the better. Haps should be in a 6' tank so you can't have them. Peacocks should be stocked at a lower amount then the above given number. They can be stocked with some mbuna like labs or other pretty peaceful mbuna.

Ok, sounds good. I've been looking at some,
And this is a rough list, of what I would Like (keyword like, not have) to have in my tank. I'm not sure if its a good idea, I don't know how most cichlids mix together yet. What do you think, is it a realistic list?

electric yellows

yellow tail aceis

afra white tops

cobalt zebras

Kenyi

Afra cobue

Ok, sounds good. I've been looking at some,
And this is a rough list, of what I would Like (keyword like, not have) to have in my tank. I'm not sure if its a good idea, I don't know how most cichlids mix together yet. What do you think, is it a realistic list?

electric yellows

yellow tail aceis

afra white tops

cobalt zebras

Kenyi

Afra cobue

Ok first I would like to tell you your best only picking 3 -4 fish. Stocking them at higher numbers make the tank look better and there are normally less problems then a huge science mix.

The afra can't go together or there is a good chance they will fight. So only pick one or two that look nothing alike.

Acei get to be 6" and they are free swimming mbuna. I would have to x them.

I would get rid of the labs ( a little secret everyone has them) the kenyi will give you the blue and yellow. The male is one color and females are another. Its like killing two birds with one stone.

Oh awesome about the Kenyi, I really wanted a yellow fish in there to brighten it up, so I'm ok with ditching the yellow labs. And only one afra, I'm gonna have to go with the white top,
Really like their look. Yellow tails, I can ditch them, wasn't crazy on them. Is it worth putting cobalt blues in there, I mean, I think I'm pretty covered in the blue area. Maybe replace them with red zebras? Any other suggestions?

Oh awesome about the Kenyi, I really wanted a yellow fish in there to brighten it up, so I'm ok with ditching the yellow labs. And only one afra, I'm gonna have to go with the white top,
Really like their look. Yellow tails, I can ditch them, wasn't crazy on them. Is it worth putting cobalt blues in there, I mean, I think I'm pretty covered in the blue area. Maybe replace them with red zebras? Any other suggestions?

Are you going to order these online? The first thing I would do is find an online retailer that carry's the ones you really want like the white top. Then see what else your interested in. Because the shipping prices will kill the wallet if you have to order from several places, at less money isn't a problem.

Are you going to order these online? The first thing I would do is find an online retailer that carry's the ones you really want like the white top. Then see what else your interested in. Because the shipping prices will kill the wallet if you have to order from several places, at less money isn't a problem.

Ya definitely a good idea. I talked to my lfs's owner, he said he could order me some in. But he is pretty sketchy, scatter brain, so I'm not banking on that. If I do order them online, do you have any reliable sites? Should I go all out and order 20 at one time, or space it out, I know shipping will be expensive, and my money isn't endless by any means..

Ya definitely a good idea. I talked to my lfs's owner, he said he could order me some in. But he is pretty sketchy, scatter brain, so I'm not banking on that. If I do order them online, do you have any reliable sites? Should I go all out and order 20 at one time, or space it out, I know shipping will be expensive, and my money isn't endless by any means..

You can do them in groups or all at once it is all up to you.

Www.davesfish.com

http://www.floridatropicalfishdirect.com/5152/5173.html

http://wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

Www.livefishdirect.com

Wet spot and Dave's is going to carry a lot of wild and f1 cichlids. Their prices are higher but the product should be better than most places. I know someone that ordered from the Florida place and they sent her tons of extras of everything she ordered. Plus the fish are really nice.

Depending on your lfs they won't be able to get a lot of the cichlids. Your gonna see a ton you probably have never even seen looking online.

You don't want them to interbreed. Any mouthbrooder can interbreed with another. Some are worse than others.
Examples IMO
-rustys are at the top of my list to breed with about anything.
-Yellow fin mbamba will interbreed with a yellow lab.

That's just a couple that are really bad. There are many more

No, I dont want to interbreeding with one another in keep the gene pool strong...if it happens it happens.

Yellow fin mbamba/Yellow Lab I understand since they are "labidochromis" and why one should only try to pick one in that group. Just wasnt sure how strong other grouper will pair like that or in your case poor horndog Rusty with everything...lol and that's what I meant when it doesnt matter

No, I dont want to interbreeding with one another in keep the gene pool strong...if it happens it happens.

Yellow fin mbamba/Yellow Lab I understand since they are "labidochromis" and why one should only try to pick one in that group. Just wasnt sure how strong other grouper will pair like that or in your case poor horndog Rusty with everything...lol and that's what I meant when it doesnt matter

Normally a libido will fight or interbreed. I had clown labs and yellow labs together for a few days till the yellow labs killed them. That was before I knew better.

Your somewhat right they will if they want to no matter what. But ones that are known to then I'd try to stay away from them. Its always best to avoid something if ya can IMO. The rest of this conversation will need to wait for a new thread on the subject

I know someone that ordered from the Florida place and they sent her tons of extras of everything she ordered. Plus the fish are really nice.

Just an F.Y.I That is were I got mines.... and happy with what I got... Good luck!

You can do them in groups or all at once it is all up to you.

Www.davesfish.com

http://www.floridatropicalfishdirect.com/5152/5173.html

http://wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

Www.livefishdirect.com

Wet spot and Dave's is going to carry a lot of wild and f1 cichlids. Their prices are higher but the product should be better than most places. I know someone that ordered from the Florida place and they sent her tons of extras of everything she ordered. Plus the fish are really nice.

Depending on your lfs they won't be able to get a lot of the cichlids. Your gonna see a ton you probably have never even seen looking online.

So whatever is "unsexed" obviously is either male or female, it's unknown. If I were to order say 5 white tops, unsexed, I'm just gambling? How will I know if I have 4 males and 1 female, or vice versa? Than what do I do? Also pairs are pretty expensive, is that one male, and one female?

So whatever is "unsexed" obviously is either male or female, it's unknown. If I were to order say 5 white tops, unsexed, I'm just gambling? How will I know if I have 4 males and 1 female, or vice versa? Than what do I do? Also pairs are pretty expensive, is that one male, and one female?

I'd order them around 2" and sex will probably be unknown. Yes your just gambling, just tell them you know they can't but ask them to do their best. It will be ok people do it all the time.

First figure out what your going to get and see what kind of stocking numbers we can work out.

Im who Andrew is referring to I ordered 19fish from floridatropicalfish got 27 and a bag of free food then they shipped in a styrofoam ice chest one of the thicker ones instead of a box lined with styrofoam.. i have also ordered from daves a few times recently got a few of his F1 alto. Compressiceps .. i cant complain i love my fish

I'd order them around 2" and sex will probably be unknown. Yes your just gambling, just tell them you know they can't but ask them to do their best. It will be ok people do it all the time.

First figure out what your going to get and see what kind of stocking numbers we can work out.

Again thanks for all your help, making it much easier. I probably won't order my fish for another two weeks. So when I am ready, is there a way I can get a hold of you? I would really like go go over a stocking list with you.

When I do order my fish, say I get 20 in one shipment. What would be the best way to acclimate them to my tank, I've used the drop method in the past, I guess I have a ten gallon tank, would I just throw them all in there, and let it drip into it?

When I do order my fish, say I get 20 in one shipment. What would be the best way to acclimate them to my tank, I've used the drop method in the past, I guess I have a ten gallon tank, would I just throw them all in there, and let it drip into it?

Drip* method, or whatever it's properly called

Ok, say a five gallon bucket, it would be ok to throw, twenty, inch long cichlids all in there?

Back
Top Bottom