New Cichlid Tank Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I'm setting up a cichlid tank. I'd like to do a malawi tank, mostly mbuna species I think. I have a 70 gallon tank, with an emperor 400, and a fluval 406, a Hydor koralia 1050, tetra ap 150. I know I want some yellow labs, red zebras, I also want a nice bright blue fish. Any suggestions? Also how many fish do you guys think I can stock in here? Give me your guys opinions on what good starters are, I want a bright tank, colorful fish that can live together. I'd like some afras also. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Some blue ones I have are the cobalt blue and a johanni. Cobalt is like a powder blue and the johanni is dark blue with light blue stripes pretty cool looking( my profile pic) . I like the rustys they are a golden brown then when they get bigger they get a purle hue to them. Aka lavender cichlid

Are those all pretty common, like can I get them from my lfs?

Careful as red Zebras and yellow labs can cross breed, but you can let the fry be released and will be taken care of by the other fish

Careful as red Zebras and yellow labs can cross breed, but you can let the fry be released and will be taken care of by the other fish

All fish can cross bread, I've never had a problem with my labs and red zebras or ob zebra. Some do interbreed worse than others. But they wouldn't be at the top of my list. Now the red and cobalt would be. And they would make ob zebras

All fish can cross bread, I've never had a problem with my labs and red zebras or ob zebra. Some do interbreed worse than others. But they wouldn't be at the top of my list. Now the red and cobalt would be. And they would make ob zebras

Of course all can. I've always seen it a lot more common between reds and yellows more than anything

If that was the case, would those ob zebras be ok in the tank?

Can peacocks live with the fish you guys listed?

i have one female acei (nice blue fish), 14 dems (blue w/ light blue vertical stripes), 6 yellow labs 3 ob red zebras, 3 jewels, and 1 Haplochromis sp. "#44" thickskin (yellow/ blue/ red)

How do you guys keep your decor, (mainly the rocks) in your tanks stable. I know how cichlids like to dig, I don't want any rocks to fall. Also if I'm not using very heavy rocks, is an egg crate really necessary?

How do you guys keep your decor, (mainly the rocks) in your tanks stable. I know how cichlids like to dig, I don't want any rocks to fall. Also if I'm not using very heavy rocks, is an egg crate really necessary?

What substrate are you using? Either sand or gravel they will dig up. Well I have an overstocked 55 and only one (red zebra) and

image-1491766149.jpg

This is what he does. Like it will get an inch higher as he takes out more. My rocks are without egg crate but are sturdy in there

Back
Top Bottom