New Cichlid tank? or what else? Stocking/Substrate help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

archchris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help Setting up a new cichlid tank?
I had an existing Cichlid tank but due to certain circumstances I had to shut it down, upon restarting the tank i have decided to completely begin from scratch removing the existing under-gravel filter and the gravel substrate.
I want to start the new tank with a sand substrate this time, and potentially run an internal/external canister filter (any suggestions on a suitable filter would be awesome). I found that over time the under-gravel filter became less functional and harder to clean.
I was also uncertain of which types of cichlids I would get I have always been fond of electric yellows so I was considering

3-5 Electric Yellows
1 Jack Dempsey (I have read ALOT on this cichlid being too aggressive though so I'm not sure if it will be companionable with the yellows.)

I want a display tank that has a nice selection of colorful fish but also isn't too aggressive or hard to maintain. The tank in itself is 3ft, 155L or approx. 40 gallon and runs currently with two weaker heaters (which normally runs the temperature a little high.)

Also I'm in Australia so the variety types of fish and that available isn't as great, but i am more than eager to hear some suggestion of fish to put into the tank :)

Many Thanks :D

Not familiar with JDs, but I know you could have quite a few africans if you'd like. Not sure if you want just cichlids in your tank. And with sand be sure to wash it very good before adding it..it'll save you the headache.

Jack Dempseys can be mellow. The Africans are what you might have aggression problems with. Electric Yellows can get mean. Don't mix the cichlids. You need to stick with Africans or Americans, not both

Jack Dempseys also get to be about a foot long. 40 gallons isn't big enough for him

I used to have Cichlids and the best advice I could give is do a lot of research before mixing any Cichlids. A lot of Cichlids are from Lake Malawi but that doesn't mean they all get along. One's that I had that were ultra aggressive were Zebra Cichlids. I personally think the Peacock varieties are some of the prettiest. Check out the Rubin Red and the Sunshine Yellow. Good luck on whatever you decide :)

I recently started up a mbuna aquarium with Electric Yellows, Afra Edwardi, and Rusty cichlids. They all seem to get along... for Mbunas. They are all really interesting fish and have a fairly distinct color difference between the species and are recommended as some of the less aggressive mbunas. From what i've read try to keep a 1 male per 4 female ratio if you want those species.

As far as substrate goes I picked up 2 bags of white silica sand from Menards called Handy sand. It was ridiculously cheap, about $3 for 50 lbs, and am loving it far more than marketed aquarium sands. Although if you do go that route make sure your filter intakes are a fair distance away from the sand if you end up using HOB filters. Play sand or black blasting sand are apparently very good as well.

I recently started up a mbuna aquarium with Electric Yellows, Afra Edwardi, and Rusty cichlids. They all seem to get along... for Mbunas. They are all really interesting fish and have a fairly distinct color difference between the species and are recommended as some of the less aggressive mbunas. From what i've read try to keep a 1 male per 4 female ratio if you want those species.

As far as substrate goes I picked up 2 bags of white silica sand from Menards called Handy sand. It was ridiculously cheap, about $3 for 50 lbs, and am loving it far more than marketed aquarium sands. Although if you do go that route make sure your filter intakes are a fair distance away from the sand if you end up using HOB filters. Play sand or black blasting sand are apparently very good as well.

Yeah I got a 50 pound bag of play sad for $2.95.. I like it, just gotta wash it good. I was always hesitate on the black sand blasting due to not knowing what's really in it and it being sharp..especially for fish that can are on the bottom and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom