New Cicihlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyberblack98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start a new cichlid tank and I have a few questions mainly on compatibility. I would like to know what is the best mix of the following:

Zebra, Flameback, Haps, Pseudonigrican Blue,Red Top Trewavasae, Yellow Lab, Frontosa, Blue and/or Purple Zaire, Long Pelvic, Kimpuma.

I am completely open to additions, substations, and out right don't do's. I just want to keep down aggression. I plan on putting them in a 300 gallon tank with a sand bottom, holey rock and terracotta decor and open at the top.... also please don't hesitate with any suggestions since this is a completely new set up

not sure what you mean by foot print? it was originally purchased to be a salt water tank but I got and changed out the lighting and kept the filtration minus the protein skimmer.

Cyberblack98 said:
what did you have in mind?

I know your looking at Africans but Garfy is right IMO with having fish of size in a large tank, and my recommendation is Caquetaia Umbriferus.

Attachments

• image-2830921052.jpg
    image-2830921052.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3748044582.jpg
    image-3748044582.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I am with Garfy and Hukit on this one, for a pair of big nasties like Dovii, Caquetaia Umbriferus, red tiger motaguense or some of the other beauties. I myself started with Lake Malawi Haps and while I still love them I got 4 vieja argentea and haven't looked back.

All of those SA Cichlids are really nice but I feel that I'm going to with african. They just appeal to me from my time when I had saltwater tanks

Cyberblack98 said:
All of those SA Cichlids are really nice but I feel that I'm going to with african. They just appeal to me from my time when I had saltwater tanks

If that's the case look into Lake Malawi Haps, I feel that they are allot more interesting that Mbuna and peacocks. Most of them are between 8"-16" and come in many different body shapes a colors.

Here are some I think may appeal to you:
- Aristochromis christyi
-Champsochromis caeruleus
- Chilotilapia euchilus
- Dimidiochromis compressiceps ( normal or gold)
-Exochochromis anagenys
-Cyrtocara moorii
-Fossorochromis rostratus
-Lichnochromis acuticeps
- Mylochromis lateristriga
- Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus
- Nimbochromis livingstonii
- Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"
- Tyrannochromis macrostoma

Cyberblack98 said:

Ok then I would suggest going for some big haps.I think you could get quite a few in your tank.
Dimidiochromis compressiceps
Electric blue Ahli
Nimbochromis Venustus
Nimbochromis Livingstonii
Placidochromis milomo

These are a few of my favourites.

Haha yes.
My profile picture is the
Dimidiochromis compressiceps
Also know as the Malawi eye biter.
Don't let this put you off though mine only takes one eye per week (Joke)
They don't deserve that name.

thanks for the suggestions I had some of those on my list..... Since I am still new at this I have narrowed down my likes to Haps and Peacocks with those two get along? and will make a rock wall and leaving room at the top for open swimming work... what would be the best "aqua-scaping" set up

I wouldn't mix the haps with peacocks.I think the haps would be a little on the aggressive side.
In a tank that size I think you could do some mbuna with the haps.
Rock work for the mbuna which would stay mainly towards the bottom of the tank and tall plants (plastic are fine) for the haps as they stay mainly in the middle to top of the tank and do like a little cover too.A sandy bottom would be ideal.

Garfy you must be in my head today because my next question was going to be about sand versus pea gravel/river pebbles mix because I keep reading the sand gets sucked in the filtration system and can destroy your pump in a short matter of time

For me sand looks better but it is only personal preference.
My filter intakes are about 4-5" from my sand so it doesnt get sucked up but even if it does there are 4 stages of filtration before the water reaches the impeller so any sand is caught in the filtration pads.I usually find sand in the very bottom of my cannister filters but nowhere else.
Your gonna need some pretty awesome filtration for a tank that size.I would suggest 2 x Fluval fx-5's.

Back
Top Bottom