NEW DISCUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BASSNMAN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went to my LFS today and found 2 blue discus that matched the one I had. I tried to resist, honest I did,but you can see the happy group below.

Attachments

• discus.jpg
    discus.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 136
VERY NICE!!!
It's OK... we all cave every now and then How big are they? Looks like maybe about 3 inches? I wish I had the self discipline for Discus... Its everything I have to keep up with my Blue Rams. I am not risking a 30-50$ fish! They are so pretty... Good Find!

They are 3 inches and just under. $ 15 each, thats why I couldn't resist. The LFS owner is going to buy fish tomorrow and is going to try to get me a pair of red discus. :D

terrific

thank goodness you didnt get a medium or large sized discus cause that woul have costed you $100-$150 and if you wanted a pair that can breed for sure you would have spent $500 at the LEAST!

well i hope you have the paitence and water chemistry down for them cause i read on the internet feed them the wrong food once and they will not eat anymore

thats what happend to my hatchetfish... i think cause he would no eat and he stressed so bad he cought ich and his tail fin was ripping i felt so bad and he died today:cry: :cry:

I'm starting to fall in love with discusses (discii??). So purdy.

Is the bigger one in that picture your old one?

Wow thats a pretty group of fish you have there. I really like the discus.
Great price for them.
I wish a lfs within 50 miles of where I live sold them or more hard to find fish. I've been to about 8 different pet stores within a 50-60 mile radius of where I live and they ALL sell the same things for the most part -- just the common guppies, tetras, cathfish, common plecs, (maybe a few others like chocolate, bristlenose, clown plecs), etc. Since I live on the western part of PA a few weeks ago I traveled into Ohio where there were 5 fish stores (one was a petsmart) within a 4-5 mile radius. They were all the same for the most part, except for this one place which had giant arrowanas, a beautiful display of very large lionfish etc, I liked this place because each tank they had only had one species (say a pink kisser tank, an opaline gourami tank, etc) and each tank had its own seperate filtration so it wasn't one of those "shared" filtration systems.
Some day I'm going to have a 55 gallon or so planted discus tank -- thats when I get enough money and room, and spend alot of time researching them.

I've been wanting to venture into the discus world for quite some time- price is relative though. Go price salt water species!
I have a 37 gal tall(same footprint as a 29) that's planted w/ only a couple of neons & a male fancy guppy & I'd love to put one discus in there- but fear tank may bee too small. What's the minimum size for a single discus? The one's I've seen don't seem too active & may do well in a taller planted tank?

Discus are shoaling fish and really are happier (and more secure), in groups. I started by growing out 5 juveniles in a 29gal. When they got to be just over 4 inches, I moved them to a 55. Then MTS really took over. :roll:

NICE. I find that a lot of the discus that appear in the stores are less colorful, runts, or culls (from breeders), and are usually somewhat overpriced considering their quality. You seem to have gotten the exceptions to the rule! Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom