New Discus, How do I feed them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F-18 TECH

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody
I was wondering if I could get some information in regards to feeding my new Discus. They are approx 8 months old and in really good shape, I purchased them from an auction at the local fish club. The breeder was there and I asked him all the normal questions i.e. ph, feeding etc. So I forgot to ask him what he was feeding them and if it would be normal for the fish to not eat for a few days. It has been 3 days since I brought them home and none of the 3 have eaten. Is this normal Discus behaviour or should I be concerned?
Thanks in advance for the information

I don't think a 3 day hunger strike is ever good with juvi discus. Is this a devoted discus tank? Are there other fish in the tank? What's the temp? Have you been changing water?

Lots of questions I know, but discus can be very finnicky when the environment is changed.

I've heard (and read) that Discus are extremely hard to keep.

A friend of mine had several for a few months. They would only eat live food, and seemed to prefer to be hand fed. After a few months, though, he said they sort of turned dark (brownish/blackish) and died in just a couple of days... :cry:

Discus aren't hard to keep. They do require more knowledge and care than most all other FW fish. My discus eat a wide variety of foods.

Note to F-18 Tech. Why not phone the breeder and ask what he has been feeding. It is entirely possible that they are snubbing your food because they don't recognize it as food. Somtimes bumping the temp up a degree or two will stimulate the appetite.

I will try and answer the questions. This tank is a 70 gallon tank with all the proper set up measures. The ph is 7.2, weekly water changes of 25 percent are preformed every wednesday and the temperature is 82 degrees F. Filtration is accomplished by 2 aquaclear 300. There is also other fish in the tank but they are posing no problem to the discus as they seem to be chasing there tankmates away from the driftwood. The fish are 4 rainbows, 4 red eye tetras, 1 flame gourami, 1 sydontus cat and 4 tail light tetras. These fish are mentioned in Dr Alexelrods book on breeding and keeping tropical fish as being good tank mates for discus so I trusted his knowledge. However if these are going to be a problem they can be moved to another tank. Hope this clairifies and questions.

The other fish aren't the problem. The biggest problem is 25% pwc weekly. Filters don't remove dissolved organic compounds and they will eventually stress and kill your discus. That's probably the problem that DarylFs friend had. The second problem is 82 degrees. Minimum temp for discus is 84.

The first discus keepers rule is this.......... If you suspect a problem, do a pwc.

I grow my discus out in 55 gallon tanks. Usually 5 or 6 to a tank. I do daily 33%pwcs on grow out tanks. I might miss a day. Never 2 days in a row. If you don't own a python, get one. It takes me less than 20 minutes to do a water change in a 125 gallon. Best time saving peice of equipment there is for a discus keeper.

Thanks for the advise
I will step up the water changes and increase the temperature. Good news though all three ate at the afternoon feeding of blood worms. YEAAAAAAAAAAA .

Even though you got the to feed off bloodworms I would still try to contact the guy you got them from and figure out if he was using any dry food. It is sometimes very hard for discus to take dry food, but if you can train them too it is very worth the effort. switching off with dry and frozen food is best in my opinion.

everyone already answered me.
But there is another forum just for discus you could try. Its all about them ..
Maybe just to read and knowledge from people who have them and problems and what not.
Www.discusforums.com
they are a great help as the people on this site. i just like it better because its all about them.
good luck

yah. its nice. but the only problem is i live in alberta canada and say its like 12 am here and 3 pm the next day there. so thats usually when u get good advice.
Just an example. and ladyred always gives really good advice for everything and explains it really good.
of course people do here. but just more discus people there.

Well I thank you for the advice in regards to the Discus forum but ky was right about getting good info. I also live in Alberta Canada and I think the info they put up on the site will be at 3 am our time. Oh Ky do you find it hard to locate good stores here in the prairies, and where do you get your stuff? Just want to know thanks

well dear. i live in red deer so if i need anything i usually go to edmonton or calgary. Edmonton is much better for buying discus stuff imo. Calgary wasnt so good. even for discus. Big Als is where i go. really great stuff. they have discus buffer, food everything, and they even sell some pretty nice discus. just purchased 4 there myself. And a week later they are still doing great.
So it was worth it.
And you can even order online stuff there www.bigalsonline.com
they stuff i use to treat my water is prime and cyle but for actual discus i use. Discus buffer and tetra blackwater extract. discus buffer lowers p.h and the other stuff softens your water which ithink is the same thing. but i use both cause i have hard water.
But i think you could possibly go to ur local pet store for most that. what is your local pet store?
Mine actually only sells discus buffer at one and i dont know why they dont sell anything remotly like it discus. But its a pet store they might be able to order it for you if that is the case.
Yes it is hard to find stuff it took me a few weeks of traveling to calgary or edmonton to get my tank set up and buy fish. Edmonton was the better choice tho.
we hhave a planted tank to so alot of extra work.
oh also another thing im shayesmommy on there... if you ever need anything.
goodluck

Thank you for the advice. I really dont have a LFS except Wal-Mart. I am the local fish guy in the small town I live in and I am getting very frustrated with the lack of support for the serious hobbiest. Edmonton is 3 hours away and a very long drive with my 2 year old. However we get there about 2-3 times a year. I guess that is enough times I just have to think ahead and purchase those products next time I am there.
Well that was my rant again thanks and I will go out and purchase the products you were talking about.

well i have a almost two year old and a three year old. and they love it. although its only two hours. so whereever we go now we have to go to a pet store.
even if its just fish.
so i got them trained from all the trips.
like i said big als sells all there stuff online to.
or you can pre purchase as much as you need.
they have a big bottle of discus buffer for only 30 dollars at the store you could maybe buy two and that would last at least six months.
walmart does suck for fish stuff.
but is there any other pet stores closer other then edmonton?
like petland?
what are you feeding your discus? i didnt think walmart sold frozen fish food.
which mine seem to really like?
i wouldnt know tho. i have like 6-7 different kinds of food for mine.
I have pellets specially for discus, about five different kinds of frozen food, *i did not know what they liked" and then flake food which i havent feed them directly. its so the other fish dont eat theres but they do eat the flakes.
i hope that helps.
goodluck

yah but you should make it yourself because apparently if you buy it prefrozen it doenst have lots of stuff in it that should be.
just what i read.
And its probably cheaper to make it yourself.
right now i just feed them that with a mix of everyhting else.
but i will deefrost a frozen one in tank water. then throw it and it all four of em suck it right back. lol

Well Wal-Mart does sell all kinds of fish stuff but most of the dpt mgrs dont really care enough to bring any of the interesting stuff in. The mgr there is a buddie of mine and I convinced her to bring in a box of all different types of frozen. I have had luck using blood worms and brine shrimp. On my nest trip to edmonton I am going to buy a starter culture of Brine shrimp. That will make my life alot easier.

Back
Top Bottom