New discus owner looking for wisdom lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I'm pretty new on here and I've recently got 8 discus in my 55 gallon tank I've had fish for many years but only easier fish I've been told these guys are bit harder to keep so if anyone can let me know any tricks or tips I would appreciate it... My water is currently at 84 degrees and my ph is 6.8 and nitrates at 5.0 thanks

Wow! 8 discus.in a 55gal? I don't know alot about discus but that seems a bit overstocked imo. Most discus owners i personally know wouldn't even put them in a 55gal period, but like i said I've never had them so i guess i shouldn't pass judgment.

Hey theyre all pretty small right now and I talked to a few local people that have them and said it would be fine but you have a point maybe I should give 2 away to my friend I also have 3 Angels in there but they all like to school up so there usually all together anyway my tank always has room in it with no fish they all seem to like each other their is also a half moon male Betta fish in there

What is it that you need to know? I don't own discus but I have a 67 gallon that's cycling right now and I plan to have discus in it. My absolute maximum will be six but I'm also doing 3 water changes a week.
Iv done heaps of reasearch and read waaay too many books haha.

But I do recommend, with your ammount of discus, to do atleast 2 50% water changes a week when they're older to keep them happy and healthy. Also because angelfish can hold parasites that discus are prone to that you keep it happy too.
I'm also in love with bettas haha I'm going to have my females in my tank too.

I agree with the 2 50% pwcs a week. I have 7 discus in my 55 plus 5 angels and several other fish *facepalm* my dad stocked it when I wasn't living there x.x but yea just keep water quality good.

Just any general tips like what ph is optimal for them I have 6.8......foods? Water temps? Things like that just general stuff I've never owned them and before and want to learn as much as I can from people that have but i don't know anyone so I figured here would be a hood place to start

Well a stable ph is better than an ideal one. 6.8 is great. They like bloodworms and brine shrimp as a treat and cichlid pellets, flakes, etc as staple. My temp is set at 84.5F and they also like lots of plants and things to hide in. I didn't have real plants at first so don't feel like they have to be real. They do like those too tho. Other than that I don't do anything special for mine.

Yes. I'm also going to try keep a wide variety of food. My favorite book that I own was extremely detailed on the foods they need. For young discus like yours, beefheart will make them grow extreamily fast.
You really need a variety of food if you want happy discus.
I can send you a PDF of this really good discus book of you give me your email. Lol you don't have to though XD

How do make sure my ph is going to remain stable I test daily right now and it seems to stay right at 6.8ph no matter how much water I change but my alkalinity is really low like 0-40 range I was told this is what keeps it stable but I don't know how to raise it and don't really want to add any chemicals

If your tap water stays at that ph then you're all good. Iv been told not to worry about GH and KH

You should probably only initially test your tap water and if it is too high then you should test to male sure it's constant.
If theyre ok then I don't see a need to test.
It really depends

Back
Top Bottom