New Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh man, those discus are nice! I like the fact you're keeping the tank clean, no gravel.
Feeding is always a chore with discus, some will eat almost anything while others are very shy and picky about what they eat so trying different types of food helps.

Thanks! I'm feeding discus Hans flakes & new era pellets Mostly.
Worms occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Worms occasionally.

What type of worms? Black, Blood, Earth, Micro, Meal, Silk, Tubifex, Tunnel, Bristle, White?

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Ha! Blood & tubifex... Shrimp too.
I didn't realize there were so many different types you could feed.

I just noticed a furry spot on my pigeon blood's fin. Not sure what it is. Kinda cottony. Same color as fin. Have to keep an eye on that...

Lol thanks, sorry if I sounded rude, it's just that "Worm" is such a generic word in this hobby. I wonder what that spot is, any pics?

They are very healthy keep up the good work. I mean keep up the amazing work ?

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

Worms occasionally.

Mine like Omega One Marine Flakes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If I got discus I would probably feed a homemade gelatin mix I feed to my fish that consists of spinach, banana, shrimp, tilapia, a few frozen BS cubes, and some flakes thrown in, with maybe live BS as a treat. I've been wanting discus for some time now, but they are too expensive for me and my mom wont let me get a tank over 37 gallons...

That's painfully close to what you need. I think 50 gallons would work.

I don't know if I can get a picture of that spot. It's pretty small. Barely noticeable. Probably nothing. I'll see.

Ha! Blood & tubifex... Shrimp too.
I didn't realize there were so many different types you could feed.

I just noticed a furry spot on my pigeon blood's fin. Not sure what it is. Kinda cottony. Same color as fin. Have to keep an eye on that...

Quarantine him. Fungus and/or columnaris. I had this issue a week after I got mine and had a long road of treatment and recovery.

Caleb

That's painfully close to what you need. I think 50 gallons would work.

I don't know if I can get a picture of that spot. It's pretty small. Barely noticeable. Probably nothing. I'll see.

Yes it is... I have a 29 gal right now that could probably hold about 4 of your size discus, but I don't really like the sensitive babies. I like discus that are about 3 1/2-4 inches, and are just starting to be a nice round shape and are colouring up, not to mention getting a bit hardier than the babies, but I'd need a 50 for those. I've been itching to start 'The Journey' for years but only now I think I am experienced enough for them... But those sizes are when they start to get pricey. I have 3 minor-chain pet stores in my area that all sell very unhealthy baby discus for $19, a PS+ that doesn't sell discus, 2 big Ps that don't sell discus, a great LFS for saltwater but with a few dingy FW tanks with grimy angels or koi, maybe a crayfish or two, and an AMAZING LFS with AMAZING fish and a super nice and knowledgable owner but the discus are super overpriced, and I probs couldn't get discus in the size I want for under $85. Right now I'm 13 though and I plan to start 'The Journey' when I am 16 when I can have a job, more experience, and a mom who sees me as a responsible person with a passion for fish instead of a little kid with a tank. Hopefully you guys and AA will still be around by that time :). And I agree with caleb, even if it looks harmless, it can be something crazy.

It's ok. There's a lot to be said about discus.

I'm not going to treat just yet. I'm hoping I won't have to, but I do appreciate the input. I'll definitely be in touch if I need any help.

I haven't been keeping up with my WC's as good as I was....

It's such a small spot, I doubt most people would even notice. But you know how we are. I don't even think my camera will pick it up, but I'll try to get a pic just the same.

It's ok. There's a lot to be said about discus.

I'm not going to treat just yet. I'm hoping I won't have to, but I do appreciate the input. I'll definitely be in touch if I need any help.

I haven't been keeping up with my WC's as good as I was....

It's such a small spot, I doubt most people would even notice. But you know how we are. I don't even think my camera will pick it up, but I'll try to get a pic just the same.

Yes, we know how we are... Such a good thing.

Just got 3 more 2.5's from Hans! I will post pictures when they stop hiding in the corner....

Just moved them into the main tank. They already seem less shy. Hopefully I can get some good pictures when I cut the lights back on tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom