New Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got six 2.5" discus from hans.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429460066.143696.jpg

Love these guys. My 1st discus. Been wanting them for years. Have gotten tons of good info from all of you... Finally putting it to use.

I'll post some more pix once they are in their grow out tank. Hopefully this weekend. Still need to pick up a new filter & move the fish that are currently in there. Plus, I'm going to clean it up etc...

Anyway, I'm thinking I can get her done by this time next week.

Stay tuned for an update...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I was a little bummed by the shipping cost, but really impressed with the fish & customer service. I sort of thought they would have more (how do you say) patterns, but they are already changing colors. So I'm guessing they will change as they grow.

Brilliant turquoise, Marlboro red, blue diamond, 2 dark Angels, & a pigeon blood.

Picture sux cause no light. New tank will be better for that.

Thanks. I was a little bummed by the shipping cost, but really impressed with the fish & customer service. I sort of thought they would have more (how do you say) patterns, but they are already changing colors. So I'm guessing they will change as they grow.

Brilliant turquoise, Marlboro red, blue diamond, 2 dark Angels, & a pigeon blood.

Picture sux cause no light. New tank will be better for that.

Awesome, how much were they? I love discus, but I don't think I have the experience to care for them, and I don't have the money, being only a kid and the only money coming from allowance. Had to save up for years for my 29 gallon.

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

Mine wound up costing about $40 each. That is shipping included, which is why they were so high. Hans sells them for as low as $25 minus shipping. So if you live close to Maryland, consider yourself lucky.

Patterns come in as they age. At 2.5" theyre just starting to show you their true beauty. Give it time and keep em happy. Theyll be the prize of the tank. Shipping is expensive with discus, but totally worth it every time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Crud. I didnt say how pretty they were. Congrats, hans has good quality.

Thanks! The brilliant turquoise already looks like an adult. I guess that's what had me confused. Definitely not complaining. Just dying to know what they WILL look like. I have a pretty good idea what 4/6 will look like, but it's hard to believe that the pigeon blood & Marlboro red will ever turn out the way they are supposed to. Right now they just look orange...

Also, getting the filter for their grow out tank today. Last piece to the puzzle. Can't wait to see them get huge!

So now one of my discus is off by itself in the corner refusing food...

Update. Just moved my pigeon blood to solitary. Feeding metro flakes to the others. Still planning to move them to 55 gallon this weekend.

Is he exhibiting any other odd behaviours? Anything physical you've noticed? Clamped fins, hard breathing, tilting etc........

Tilting around filter. Sort of facing down ward. When I fed them, he would go to back & face corner. I saw him rubbing his sides in sand yesterday. Also top/bottom fins tucked in. He did put up a fight when I scooped him out.
Also, put Prazipro in hospital tank.

Just dosed the others to be safe.
Pigeon blood still hanging in there. Fasting until Monday.

I'm hopeful. Just finished my massive fish project & 5/6 discus are in new home. I hope to add my pigeon blood once he's back to normal. I'm waiting until Monday to start feeding him again. Hopefully he'll be ready for something by then. I've got some Metro flakes w/ his name on them. Also, going to add a 2nd heater to his hospital tank tomorrow.
Here's the before of my new discus tank. I'll post an update tomorrow...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430019352.839235.jpg

He should be fine if you caught it and medicated fast enough. Which im sure you have. You seem to pay very good attention to them. Good luck, buddy. Hope all works for you.

Fingers crossed... My wife asked me how I knew he wasn't eating ?
I thought she knew how obsessed I was with my fish. Also, already have some experience with this sort of thing unfortunately. Once again, learned a ton from you guys.

Probably post pics tomorrow because I'm going to leave lights off today.

Clear, stringy poo ?

Temp up to 88. Already seems more active. Tomorrow's the big day...

Back
Top Bottom