Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Discus will Not Eat

I received a pair of red turquois discus from liveaquaria.com on Thursday. They were put in the tank that afternoon and look and act healthy. My only concern is that they will not eat. I have almost everything. They don't look at flake. slow sinking pellets do not get their interest. Brine shrimp are passed up without a look. I know it is only a few days but I am starting to worry a bit and look for any help. All water parameters are excellent except the temp got a bit low. I was at 77 and have inched it up to 80. Any help would be appreciated.

New at this, but learning everyday.
65 gal saltwater
1 clown ; 1 orange spot goby ; Firefish ; Lawnmower Blenny ; Royal Gramma ; Yellow Watchman Goby ; 2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs ; 6 Scarlet Leg Crabs ;
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
2 neon tetras ; 1 zebra ; 2 catfish
Red Turq Discus
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Essayons89
You have only had them a few days so they may still be getting used to their new surroundings. I've always found thawed, frozen bloodworms to do the trick to get a new fish to eat if they aren't touching anything else that is being offered. Discus are pigs when it comes to food but give them some more time to get used to their new home. I wouldn't panic that they aren't eating unless it drags out for a few more days. Fish can go for a short while without eating.

Mine won't even touch flakes anymore, they are spoiled. I feed them a mix of frozen beefheart, mussel, spirulina enhanced brine shrimp, krill, mysis shrimp, bloodworms and plankton. I'm going to be making my own food mix for them using fish fillets, shrimp, green veggies and turkey heart or liver.

As far as the temp goes I would raise it a few more degrees. The range for discus should be between 82-88F. They require warmer temps than most tropical species, this is also vital to their health in that they can be susceptible to disease at cooler temps than this. My discus tanks are kept at a constant 84F.

Bryan

Old 04-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Discus eat a lot less at cooler temperatures. Increase the heat as Bryan says. You could try feeding Blackworms......
Old 04-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. The temp is your first problem. 84 is the minimum. Although it isn't unusual for a discus to go on a hunger strike (for no apparent reason), a healthy discus will have a healthy appetite. A fish that doesn't eat for more than 2 days is cause for concern.

I'm assuming you bought young discus Ken. Another problem might be that they either can't find, or don't recognize what you're feeding as food. Being shoal fish they stress less when kept in groups. If these discus were kept with alot of others where you bought them, they may not feel secure as a twosome in your tank. Sometimes just seeing another discus eat triggers the competition instinct for food.

Raise the temp to 84 and change 1/3 of the tank water. If that doesn't kick start their appetite we'll discuss other options.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I BREIFLY HAD DISCUS , i found they wouldn't eat anything but the red bloodworms, are they still colourful, meaning are they stressed? u'll know if ur discus is uncomfortable.. believe it or not I had mine with my baby oscars, and they always remained healthy and lively on the blooworm diet..
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try earthworms .. they love them 8)
Old 04-19-2005, 04:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to rcjubei
Have you tried using a floating feeder? If possible try placing a few live bloodworms in a floating feeder, my discus just love sucking them though the strainer like spaghetti. The feeder keeps the food localized and prevents if from getting sucked into filter, and you can always remove any that you feel they are not going to eat.
Substrate: Flora Base by Red Sea
Moderate Planted w/ tiger lotus & red tiger lotus, swords, hornwort, candian pondweed, creeping ludwigia,Anubias Nana
Anubias Afzelii (Narrow-leaved),Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' Micro swords x2
CO2
Injected
Tank: 20 gal fw
Eclipse 3 Hood w/ bio wheel, 20 watts flourescent lighting
Substrate: 40lb eco-complete
Plants: 2-Anubias Nana, hornwort, tiger lotus
rcjubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #8

I slowly raised the temp to 82.9 over the weekend and tried bloodworms. At first they ignored them. But last night they each sucked up a few.. not many but it's a start. They both still look good, not stressed or anything and swimming all around the tank. It might just take a little longer than I want it to.

65 gal saltwater
1 clown ; 1 orange spot goby ; Firefish ; Lawnmower Blenny ; Royal Gramma ; Yellow Watchman Goby ; 2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs ; 6 Scarlet Leg Crabs ;
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
Red Turq Discus
Old 04-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get the temp to at least 84 Ken. It stimulates their appetites and will avoid other probs (such as Hex), down the road. How much water are you changing?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #10

I don't want to jump the temp up to fast. I'm going about 1/2 to 3/4 degrees a nite. I am changing about 15 -20 % every 2 days.

65 gal saltwater
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
Red Turq Discus

Tags
discus, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com