New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjnicol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just want some opinions on what I should get for additional filtration in my 55 gal long tank. At the moment I have an external canister eheim professional 2226 and an internal aqua manta ifx100. The tank is currently stocked with 12 various African cichlids, 2 x clown loaches, and 1 x syn pleco. I was thinking of getting another canister to help out with filtration, but have got no real idea of what to get?? I was also thinking of getting the new filter with a uv stabilizer in it?? Any ideas or opinions would really help me out???

Anyone's input would really help me out. Thanks

Canister is 950lph (250gph) and internal is 600 lph (160gph)

Acording to gph you almost have 8 times turn over rate now. If I did anything I'd probably upgrade the internal one to a hang on back filter that does around 250-350gph. Then look into an inline sterilized for the canister you have now.

I say get an hob as well. I love my aquclear 110's they are one of the best IMO.

Acording to gph you almost have 8 times turn over rate now. If I did anything I'd probably upgrade the internal one to a hang on back filter that does around 250-350gph. Then look into an inline sterilized for the canister you have now.

Just do more water changes if you're worried about water quality, no need to spend money on a UV unit.

I love my uv. I only use it when I have an algae bloom. Fortunately, I've not had a bloom in over a year! YAY!!

Yes I know but why?! A UV is a bandage fix, any problem requiring a UV can be solved by reducing stock, feeding less, shortening lighting periods, moving tanking out of direct sunlight and keeping up on water changes.

A UV is no more of a bandage fix than any of the things you just mentioned. It is useful equipment to help maintain high water quality. An aquarium is an enclosed system and anything you can do to improve water quality is of benefit. The question is: does the benefit outweigh the cost?

A UV sterilizer can kill viruses, bacteria, algae, and protozoa. None of the things you mentioned above can kill any of these.

On the OP's 55 g tank a 15w lamp set to the proper flow rate will kill viruses, bacteria, algae, and protozoa.

A UV sterilizer can kill viruses, bacteria, algae, and protozoa. None of the things you mentioned above can kill any of these.

I don't have any of the above issues with the exception of the occasional algae outbreak but that's normally due to the fact my lights are left on a little to long. and all in do is lots of water changes and filter up maintenance to keep my tanks at their best. All I was trying to say of you have an aggressive water changing schedule, keep a close eye on light exposure, don't over feed and are smart about adding new livestock to the system there should be no need to run a UV. Upgrading the internal filter to a AC 70/110 however is a smart move.

The only was I could see justifying the use/cost of a UV system is if I was buying allot of WC fish and needed to QT them or in a tank with very high grade shrimp.

Thanks for the info guys, I think I will get a uv steriliser even though some of you don't think I should, all valid points. That's what I love about AA, some many valid opinions to help me out on decisions. Thanks again guys!

Yes I know but why?! A UV is a bandage fix, any problem requiring a UV can be solved by reducing stock, feeding less, shortening lighting periods, moving tanking out of direct sunlight and keeping up on water changes.

That's not true! I did all of those things and I kept having bad algae blooms. Sometimes a uv comes in handy and if it's what the op or anyone else thinks they need to do then they should. A uv was the best thing I put in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom