New Firemouth Chiclid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday, I bought a 1 inch long firemouth chiclid. I put him in my 55 gallon tank after moving almost everything in the tank. I put a small ornament that looks like a rock in the form of a castle in a corner with the hope that the firemouth would like it and use it. I put it on the opposite side of the tank from where the 6 inch long convict chiclid always hangs out. Even though I reorganized everything, the convict decided to keep his territory on the same side of the tank. The firemouth explored the entire tank before deciding to establish his territory in the castle on the opposite side of the tank from the convict.

In the process of investigating the tank he encountered most of the other fish in the tank. During his exploration he was not aggressive toward any fish, even though some of them clearly didn't want him around or felt threatened by him. My 2 inch long rosy barb circled him and raised his upper fin as if challenging him. The tiger barb reacted similarly even though he is the same size as the firemouth.

The only fish I expected to give the firemouth a problem was the convict. The convict chased the firemouth and pursued him more than almost every other fish he has come in contact with. However, the firemouth is more maneuverable and quickly took advantage of the many areas that were only wide enough for him to pass and not wide enough for the convict. In fact, I purposely set almost every rock and ornament with enough space between the aquarium glass for the firemouth and not enough space for the convict. Now the convict and firemouth appear to accept each others presence and/or have signed a truce.

Almost every fish came nose to nose with the firemouth as he explored the tank. It seemed they all wanted to meet the new comer. The surprising antagonists were a couple male mollies who are smaller than the firemouth. They raised their top sailfin and tried to block the firemouths movement through the tank.

A few hours later, the firemouth began establishing his territory. I watched his front gills flare out as he chased a number of fish out of his territory, including the same rosy barb who had given him problems earlier. He hangs out in his territory, but doesn't hide which is what I hoped for.

Many many thanks go to SomethingFishy who suggested I get the firemouth! :D He has added a good personality to my tank.

I am still searching for a rainbow chiclid. I found some at one store, but there was a sick one in with all the others so I decided to wait.

I enjoyed watching him explore the tank and how the other fish reacted to his arrival and then watching him establish his territory.

Yes, I like the orangish color on the bottom side of this fish.

And let me correct what I said before. The convict chiclid will chase the firemouth from time to time. He never gets a chance to make contact since the firemouth is more maneuverable and seems faster and takes full advantage of the small areas I created for him.

He has a well established territory and only seems to allow a few fish in without challenge. Included in that group is the 8 inch long pleco and the convict chiclid.

Another interesting thing is this firemouth has been actively chasing two minnows (both are about 2 and a half or 3 inches long) out of his territory. However, twice one of the minnows seemed to get fed up with getting chased and turned on the firemouth and chased him into his castle.

This firemouth cichlid (did I get the spelling right finally?) is cool. He'll dart across half the tank to get one of the shrimp pellets I drop in the tank for the pleco and convict cichlid. He's even snached one right in front of the convict cichlid before the convict could react. I now pick out smaller pellets to drop in first until the firemouth gets his. I'm concerned he might choke on the larger ones.

The firemouth also will go up to the top of the tank with the other fish if I put the flakes in first. He seems to be fully adjusted to this tank and is basically acting like a community fish which is what I hoped for.

Back
Top Bottom