New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I just got some new black convicts yesterday and I have noticed some orange dots on one of them! If anyone knows what this is I will greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• image-4000431522.jpg
    image-4000431522.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 74
X2 the female cons are usually more colorful than the males. The belly will be red/orange and will have multi-colored dorsal fin

So now I have two of them so does that mean my other one is a male because it does not have the orange on it?

No, but you will soon, they breed about once a month and you'll have more babies than you can give away in no time lol

Will they eat their babies and do they lay eggs? I also have a blood parrot fish will it eat their babies?

Will they eat their babies and do they lay eggs? I also have a blood parrot fish will it eat their babies?

First thing you should know about convicts is they're tough little bastards, they feisty enough to hold off my 4" vanilla cray an they take **** from no one lol secondly they're mouth brooders, so yes they lay eggs for a moment but they the female scoops them up once the makes fertilized them.

First thing you should know about convicts is they're tough little bastards, they feisty enough to hold off my 4" vanilla cray an they take **** from no one lol secondly they're mouth brooders, so yes they lay eggs for a moment but they the female scoops them up once the makes fertilized them.

Do I have to strip them or does the female release them on here own?

convicts are very good parents and will defend their fry to the death. if your blood parrot gets too close, believe me, it will get what it deserves. a good ole fashion, passionate, butt whoopin!!!! you may have to separate the male from the female and fry at some point due to the fact that he will be ready to spawn again before the she will be ready to stop caring for the fry. he could end up beating her pretty badly.

convicts are not mouthbrooders! they are egg layers. the female lays her eggs and the male fertilizes. only time the eggs will be scooped up will be to move them to a safer spot or in the worst case they decide to eat them.

convicts are not mouthbrooders! they are egg layers. the female lays her eggs and the male fertilizes. only time the eggs will be scooped up will be to move them to a safer spot or in the worst case they decide to eat them.

Well, shows me something huh lol I have a little cave insert in my tank and that's where they "reside" once a month, all I see is them get scooped up, and disappear into the cave and wiggled come out. I learned something new today, awesome!

Back
Top Bottom