New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank I set up in February. I moved my 1 year old male Kenyi cichlid from his 29 gallon tank and 6 new baby cichlids in at the same time. They are a mixed bunch, they came from the same "assorted african cichlids" tank my 1 year old cichlid came from. One of the blue ones died right away but the rest have flourished. They are all much bigger now and super pretty with bright sharp colors.
Today I did a big clean with their tank, rearranged the rocks/plants and added 3 new baby cichlids for a total of 9. Two electric yellow and one that looks like my kenyi did when it was small. They are super tiny and I'm worried about the yellow ones. The little Kenyi is fine, its a muddy brown/yellow right now and mean as can be. He blends in with the ground rocks and the others leave him alone mostly. The electric yellows are bullied the minute they come out of hiding. My tank is full of rocks and silk plants with tons of hiding places. They have already found "safe" places to hide in. Do you think they will be okay? Is 9 cichlids too many for 55 gallons or should I add more? I've read some stuff that says adding more will spread the aggression but I dont want to overcrowd. I attached pictures of the first group I got and the older one, I forgot to take a picture of the new ones before I put them in the tank. I'd love to hear any advise or personal experience you have!

Attachments

• received_1478787512258701.jpg
    received_1478787512258701.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20181215_215053.jpg
    20181215_215053.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 60
Nine Mbuna Cichlids in a 55 gal. Isn't overcrowding. A well planned hardscape is a good way to ensure survival for some, but not all. Expect a few casualties along the way. Research all your Cichlids and learn to distinguish gender differences. Like males fight for territory.
I keep approx forty African Cichlids in a 120 gal. Its a little crowded, but aggression is manageable. Heres a pic showing the population density.

Attachments

• 20190402_095514.jpg
    20190402_095514.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom