New fish being bullied.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imaeattyerrbrains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I just got a new oscar that im in love with! He is so beautiful. I love him more then any oscar ive ever seen simply because of his colors. I got him today, and when i put him in the tank he began being bullied by my two other oscars and my blood parrot fish. They chase him around the tank and push him around. My blood parrot has stopped now and doesnt seem to mind him. But my oscars are still so mean that my new oscar has stayed in his log since they began doing this. I dont want to get rid of him, but it seems that may be the only option. I dont want to get a divider. Do you think this will go away, or will he be bullied forever? Help as soon as possible please.

The tank is a 55 gallon. I know that this is small for those fish, but I am planning on upgrading them to a much bigger tank as soon as we move out.

Unless the fish are under 2-3 inches having three oscars in a 55g is territory train wreck. With growth rates or a inch per month you would need a 180g at the minimum to house three adult fish, then when they mature and you have 2 males one or two will leave in a box. Even my male just killed his mate last week after three successful spawns, these are not fish to mess around with and one or two will be injured or killed. Never buy a fish before buying your tank, even with the best intentions life has a funny way of changing things.

Back
Top Bottom