New fish tank--advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JazzyBear1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm a new fish tank owner and new to the forum. I have a 45 gallon bow front tank with 5 African cichlids. I've only had the tank for 2.5 months and had my fish for approx 5 weeks. I got all 5 fish at the same time.

One of my fish is not eating! She's not eaten for about 5 days and isn't making fishy faces any more. Her lips are pursed she she is always hiding! I noticed she's being bullied by just about everyone in the tank and I'm not sure what to do!? She rarely comes out from hiding and when she does she is chased back into hiding. She's clearly stressed and I'm not sure what to do.

I think she is a blue cobalt, and I also have a male blue zebra, two yellow labs (male and female) and one unknown spotted cichlid--not sure if male or female.

I've tried feeding different types of food without success. I don't know what to do, please help!

Thank you!

We'll pregnant idk how you'd put it but she has eggs in her mouth it looks like the male will fertilize them and if they are viable they will be a deep orange in color if they r not viable they will be white or brown

Wow ok that is good news! I was worried she was sick! But looking at her more closely (and after reading more about this online) I think you could be right! Thank you!

Yes she is - you can tell when they're not eating and have the "pouch" under the chin. They usually show some interest at feeding time without actually eating. Congrats ?

Your welcome good luck I have over 100 fry right now I'm taking care of it's a fun thing

So exciting! Keep us updated!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow I'm so excited now! I can't stop watching her now! Is there anything I should be doing? Does she need to be isolated or anything?

You can isolate her to reduce her stress but some say that she may spit with the stress of being moved. I always leave my holding girls in the main tank which may explain why I am yet to have any surviving fry :(
I believe that it takes a couple of goes before they will generally hold to term anyway until their instincts kick in. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. Good luck!!!!

I wait till I can see fry in her mouth then strip her I've dne that 3 times in a row now and have had great luck

Sooo it looks like both of my female fish are holding now! I'm gonna have some blue and yellow fish babies soon! I'm very excited!!!!

Back
Top Bottom