New GBRs - PICS + More Pics! - Confirm my Sexing please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that you have two males. One is a GBR the other might be Bolivian, could be wrong. The one at the top does not have any pink/orange on it's belly, so it is most likely male IMO.

waterpond, you are wrong. i'm sorry. I have two spawning pairs of GBRs, and all my females (i have three females) ALWAYS have a pink belly, whether they are getting ready to spawn or not.

David, Both of your fish ARE GBRs, but, they both look to be males. Every female GBR i have ever seen have a pink belly.

EDIT: Here is a pic of one of my pairs (i caught them in the act) Now granted, her belly colors DO get brighter when she is ready to spawn, she still always has a pink tint to her belly.

img_793738_0_9d502999b312534afa95f6eed67672d6.jpg

I've been going off "The pelvic fins goes past the start of the anal fin." which seems to be the only definite sexing difference I've found.

The females pelvic finds end before the anal fins. The Males extend past the anal fin.

-----------------------------------------
Ok It's somewhat of a moot point now, the female did not survive the night. Darn it.

I was under the impression that you had a female and a male for sure. I was positive that the male was on top in the first pic as there was absolutely no pink on the belly (I couldn't really see the bottom fish all that well). From the pics posted since then it is clear that the fish on the bottom in the first pic is indeed a male, but you also have a male in the top as well.

I have 4 spawning pairs of GBR's and as hsherman1986 said, females will always have pink bellies. There colors may become more intense during spawning periods (actually, my alpha male's pectoral fins and part of his underside become black) but you should always be able to see some pink in a female.

They are no doubt GBR's and not one GBR and one Bolivian for the reason that WaterPond pointed out: Bolivians do not have red eyes, they also do not have blue spotting, they are usually quite a bit larger, and the fins are differently shaped than GBR's among other things.

WaterPond: GBR's are usually "mature" at about 3-4 months of age but they still continue to grow and color. I believe that the term is used more to describe the ability to reproduce rather than as a sizing/growth guideline.

Back
Top Bottom