Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

new guy looking for good advice

ok, let me start here. I'm not entirely new to Central and South American cichlids, but I'm also far from being an expert, and I know almost nothing about African Cichlids.
I had several tanks almost 20 years ago, and back then the pickings were smaller than today. so now, I'm going through my mind, and google and deciding what to put into my newly purchased 60" long 100 gal. tank. I've bought a couple things already and received a few things free.
here's what I have already:

seven of whatever these are. (yeah they were given to me)

three Firemouths

two Salvini

three green terrors

and yes, 2 mollies

first lets talk about what I have. I know there are issues, but are they as bad as some people seem to think? then I'd like to discuss what I should change, or what would be better. I really want a nice group of colorful fish that are at least moderately compatible.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Nice fish I have a firemouth but that top one looks to be some kind of convict the females have red on there belly that is a cool looking one though my convict is more gray and black with the red. IMO the most colorful tanks are gonna be the African cichlids I have two a 55 and a 40b they are really easy to care for as long as you start out with at least 10 or more around the same size and let them grow up together. I am still researching on the central and South American cichlids. One thing that I have learned well a couple of things is that with central and South American cichlids its a lot better to have a larger tank like yours so you can have several of the species that you want. And you can't just put a bunch together or they will kill each other with the Africans it is way different tons of color and the more you have the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

My bad that is a firemouth I just past right over it the second one and the top one is a convict.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #4

yeah the top ones are some sort of cryptoheros, or Convict hybrid. I have no idea what they were mixed with but I liked them.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #5

Yeah they are very cool looking!!

Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Different looking. Love to see how they look in a few months.

Tags
advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com