new here...please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wont that disrupt the bio filter.... will i have start the cycle all over again?
Hi me again,
If you don't get your ammonia down below .25ppm and keep it below .25ppm you'll kill all your fish. I know you need to get rid of some, but that's a bad way for them to go
You take care of the water, your filters will take care of them selves.
The only thing that will mess with your filters is if you wash all the algae and bacteria off in tap water. If they need cleaning, only rinse them in used tank water. Only rinse when clogging, otherwise leave your filters alone and let the good bacteria grow.
Like I said it takes a lot of work. PWC every day sometimes twice a day and sometimes 2-3 times back to back. You need to PWC every day as much as needed to keep the ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm.
If it's more that you can deal with ,it is for a lot of people, then demand that petco take take all of their fish back.
Then do a fishless cycle where you don't need to be so diligent with the PWC or ammonia and nitrites.
Please don't take this as harsh as it sounds, I don't mean it to be. I know how insanely hard it is to cycle a tank with fish. It takes every spare moment you have and more than all your energy. It's not for everyone.

I am comitted. I will do whats needed to keep everything alive. I just will not go back to petco. We have a few other mom/pop aquatic stores around, but not as cheap and not as much variety of fish and products.

I am comitted. I will do whats needed to keep everything alive. I just will not go back to petco. We have a few other mom/pop aquatic stores around, but not as cheap and not as much variety of fish and products.
Most Mom & Pop FS will order what you need if they don't have it in the store. But you need to build a rapport with them.
My not so LFS will order anything I need with just a phone call. We've developed a mutual trust. That would never happen with a chain store.

My husband had convicts before we were married and they were some mean fish. they even ate the snails out of their shells! I really want a electric yellow in my tank and I've read that they are some of the least aggressive of the mbunas. And 3 plecos sounds like alot because those get really big. Good luck!

So, i've done yet another pwc. The second one today. the ammonia level has dropped more....reading 0.5 now. and, i have sucessfully given away 9 cichlids to a couple of friends. thats about 50 dollars gone:( i think i will get rid of the biggest pleco and keep 2 for now(2 may be too many, but i like them). Im down to 14 cichlids now.....do you think thats good, or do need to get rid of more??

Back
Top Bottom