New idea for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
I am pretty sure new tank or not your always going to want to move it around. Mine has been done at least 25 times this year lol

Lol, it's drivers her nuts. I'm always looking for that " piece". Thank god she puts up with me, but then again it was her idea for me to find a "hobby" and she did buy me my first tank.

Convict2161 said:
I like it. And nice placement of the DW.

Your kind. I want to do more, but I feel limited with a 55. One day I might be able to do one like yours. I have been researching underwater pictures to enable myself to replicate it. I just need more room ;).

Crawdaddy said:
Your kind. I want to do more, but I feel limited with a 55. One day I might be able to do one like yours. I have been researching underwater pictures to enable myself to replicate it. I just need more room ;).

The lake that is.

Andrew McFadden said:
I am pretty sure new tank or not your always going to want to move it around. Mine has been done at least 25 times this year lol

Yeah you know it. I'm really happy with my tank, it was just an idea I had and you know what! If I changed it knowing me, I'd hate it lol. Another tank is the best idea ;)

Now to convince the wife.

I think a mixed tropheus tank would look awesome! Although you'd have to commit as if I remember right, if the group isn't large enough, they'll kill each other down to a single individual lol But you could do a big group of various troph species, and some shell dwellers for the bottom, say, neolamprologus ocellatus "gold", and a couple pairs of julidochromis sp., like dickfeldi, ornatus, or my favorite, marlieri. Also, maybe a gold faced calvus or two. And the star of the tank would be (ideally, but there would be a chance it wouldn't work) a tanganyikan eel. But that's if it were me ;)

I personally prefer african tanks to be without driftwood, since the lakes don't really feature too much of it lol That video had my vision of the perfect rock work!

Freakgecko91 said:
I think a mixed tropheus tank would look awesome! Although you'd have to commit as if I remember right, if the group isn't large enough, they'll kill each other down to a single individual lol But you could do a big group of various troph species, and some shell dwellers for the bottom, say, neolamprologus ocellatus "gold", and a couple pairs of julidochromis sp., like dickfeldi, ornatus, or my favorite, marlieri. Also, maybe a gold faced calvus or two. And the star of the tank would be (ideally, but there would be a chance it wouldn't work) a tanganyikan eel. But that's if it were me ;)

I personally prefer african tanks to be without driftwood, since the lakes don't really feature too much of it lol That video had my vision of the perfect rock work!

I hear ya... I just love the look so I threw some pieces in and fell in love with the look.

Honestly I like the look of the blackwater theme as well so I'm not sure what I would do with the new tank if I get it.

Freakgecko91 said:
Convict, are you considering leaving the dark side!?!? Cause new worlds are where it's at!

I would NEVER leave lol. Just pondering what to do IF a new tank were to walk into my place :)

These 2 videos have peaked my interest TBO

There's so many options if you go that route! I'm sure HUKIT will chime in lol The new worlds I really have had my eye on lately (as well as some personal favorites) are uaru fernandezyepezi (uaru, no real common name), krobia xinguensis (no common name), hoplarchus psittacus (true parrot), archocentrus multispinosa (rainbow), crenicichla regani (Gentle Pike), geophagus altifrons (eartheater, no common name), biodotema cupido (cupid), guianacara geayi (bandit), and cleithocara maronii (keyhole). Obviously there are so many more, but these are all considered peaceful and are beautiful IMO

Freakgecko91 said:
There's so many options if you go that route! I'm sure HUKIT will chime in lol The new worlds I really have had my eye on lately (as well as some personal favorites) are uaru fernandezyepezi (uaru, no real common name), krobia xinguensis (no common name), hoplarchus psittacus (true parrot), archocentrus multispinosa (rainbow), crenicichla regani (Gentle Pike), geophagus altifrons (eartheater, no common name), biodotema cupido (cupid), guianacara geayi (bandit), and cleithocara maronii (keyhole). Obviously there are so many more, but these are all considered peaceful and are beautiful IMO

Thanks I will research those you have mentioned as I'm REALLY bad with scientific names lol. I'm trying to get better.

Having talked to HUKIT quite a bit, I've learned its much better to just skip the questions of "which species is it?" and just start memorizing latin names lol I'll admit, i used a google for a couple of those, but only for spelling haha I've been researching all the fish i mentioned for quite some time as I plan on eventually keeping many of them, especially the uaru, krobia, pike, eartheaters and parrot. I already have the keyhole and bandit.

Btw, love the signature ;) Chive on haha

Freakgecko91 said:
Having talked to HUKIT quite a bit, I've learned its much better to just skip the questions of "which species is it?" and just start memorizing latin names lol I'll admit, i used a google for a couple of those, but only for spelling haha I've been researching all the fish i mentioned for quite some time as I plan on eventually keeping many of them, especially the uaru, krobia, pike, eartheaters and parrot. I already have the keyhole and bandit.

Btw, love the signature ;) Chive on haha

I'm gonna start leaving those and others!!

And oh yeah!! Keep Calm Chive On my friend.... Chive On!!

It would definitely be a cool contrast to have one old world tank, and one new world :) Plus you could use all the driftwood you want! Haha Come on over to the light side ;)

Freakgecko91 said:
It would definitely be a cool contrast to have one old world tank, and one new world :) Plus you could use all the driftwood you want! Haha Come on over to the light side ;)

Haha I just may!! Now lemme work on the wide for the new tank!! Now I'm pumped! Looking up new worlds now. The colors are AMAZING!! WOW!! Just WOW!!

See, africans may have the bright colors, but New worlds have the amazing iridescence and subtle blends of earthy tones that just pop like nothing else on earth ;) Glad you are digging them!

Btw, I have a thayeri like in that first video and they're pretty cool as well, mine literally inhales ghost shrimp! My mom and sister were dying laughing watching him destroy a bunch of feeder shrimp i dumped in there lol

Freakgecko91 said:
See, africans may have the bright colors, but New worlds have the amazing iridescence and subtle blends of earthy tones that just pop like nothing else on earth ;) Glad you are digging them!

Btw, I have a thayeri like in that first video and they're pretty cool as well, mine literally inhales ghost shrimp! My mom and sister were dying laughing watching him destroy a bunch of feeder shrimp i dumped in there lol

Your really making wanna go this route! I have ALOT of reading to do! Thank you so much. Oh and expect some PM's in the future if the tank is a go :)

Back
Top Bottom