New-ish 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underdog5004

Aquarium Advice Activist
The LFS I work at had a killer deal (25% off tanks, hoods, stands) recently, so I bought a 29 gallon Aqueon kit. Obviously, you get what you pay for, since the heater is set to 68 degrees, but it's keeping the water at 79 degrees. Anyway, I've already cycled the tank with goldfish (I know, mean to the fish, etc), put some "natural" small gravel mixed with flourite down, then put "natural" big polished rocks (about 2 inches across) on top of that. I then proceeded to dump about 25 pounds of bowl rock (really porous lava-rock looking stuff) into the tank. I currently have a betta and a 5" gold gourami in the tank, with some anacharis floating to suck up nitrates. I plan on tying java fern to the bowl rock eventually, since that rock is ideal for that plant. I've got a 17 watt "plant-friendly" flourescent bulb on top, going to upgrade to something larger pretty soon, before I get Java Fern.

My (eventual) fish list is:
1 betta
1 gold gourami
2 brichardi
4 Kribensis cichlids
maybe ~5 serpae tetras
2 german blue rams
2 red comet crown rams (bolivian rams)

Sound good? I know the brichardi are kind of a sticking point, but my friend has some, and he said once they asserted dominance over the other fish, they were pretty chill. I've been doing some reading, and gold gouramis are supposed to be pretty aggressive, but she's been hanging out in my 10G tank with my guppies/mollies/platys for about 2 months now, no problems. I just moved her into the 29 gallon, and she's picked out a cave that's hers, so I think she'll be ok.

Advice? Comments? Warnings?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I'll post pictures later.

EDIT :: Can a mod move this post to the general freshwater forum? I was really tired when I posted it here, my bad.

Last edited:
I would choose either the German or Bolivians or the Kribs (a pair, not 4). There is not enough territory room for that many cichilds, especially m/f pairs. Skip the brichardi. A breeding pair of Brichardi can take over an entire tank. Maybe with the Brichardi, you could have a school of something, but I would not keep them with other cichlids. Serpae tetras are nippy usually, so I wouldn't keep them with a Betta. The Gold gourami should be fine.

Alrighty, here's an update:

I've now got the following in my tank:
1 betta
1 Gold Gourami
5 Blue Flame Tetras
2 German Blue Rams

I will be getting:
2 Bolivian Rams
2 Kribensis (trial basis)
2 Brichardi (again, trial basis)

I've got about 25 pounds of bowl rock in the tank right now, wish I could snap a pic for you. I think there'll be enough territory room, but if not, I'll just return them to the store, or buy some more bowl rock.

Thanks for your advice, Kristin.

I would highly suggest against the brichardi... I had a pair in a tank, and nothing could stay in the tank except a pleco and some SAE's. They are pretty aggressive, especially if they pair up, and they also have teeth. Also I believe that they wouldn't fit with everything else as they like higher ph/hardness, and the rest basically like softer, lower ph water.

Back
Top Bottom