New Jewels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was in Petco, andI saw a pair of Jewel cichlids. Looking closer, I saw about 15 fry in the tank, about a few days old. I quickly bought up everything, only about $4 for the fish and babies. they are currently in a 20 gallon. any adivce on kepping them, i am treating them like the Kribensis i breed, assume they should be by the amount i know on the fish.

fishstix05....

Jewel cichlids are a far cry from the 'kribensis' as far as their temperament is concerned. All of the Hemichromines, of which the Jewel cichlid is one, are much more aggressive and territorial than the Pelvicachromis species like the 'krib'.

You can, however, keep them much like the 'kribensis' as they are both African river cichlids and do not need (nor enjoy) the hard, alkaline water that their Rift Lake cousins prefer. Your 20 gallon is probably going to become a battleground as the babies grow and begin staking out their turf. Only rough and rugged tankmates that can take care of themselves will work in this tank.

They like to have a few caves or pieces of driftwood available and will breed like crazy once a compatible pair has formed. Your biggest problem then will be trying to get rid of all the baby Jewel cichlids!

Hope this helps a bit.

You are lucky, I was trying to find a pair a while back and ended up with two males. I exchanged one male for a female, but the Crimson Dynamo(remaining male) would have none of that and I was forced to return her too. Now I have a crotchety little jewel who loves everyone as long as they look nothing like a cichlid.

Water chemistry and tank decor is very similar to kribs (both are West African riverine species). I don't find jewels to be that aggressive or territorial (any moreso than the kribs) UNLESS they're protecting eggs/fry- at which point they become unholy terrors.

I'd suggest allowing the pair to have the 20 gallon to themselves and then enjoy the show! Males turn a gorgeous color of red when courting and jewels are usually excellent parents. Enjoy!:)

thanks guys! I am going to leave them to themselves in the 20 gallon. One question, I separatyed a krib. brood so the parents could breed again. can i do this with the jewels? the reason i ask is that ii have read not do do so, and wondering why.

Make sure you have a divider or possibly a hospital tank ready in case one of the parents turn on the other. I used to breed these guys and on a couple different occasions the male ended up putting a real beating on the female. You may want to consider keeping target fish handy so that they have something in the tank to focus their aggression on.

If you remove the fry try not to do it all at once or the male may want to try to get the female to breed again before she is ready resulting in severe agression. Try to do it slowly over the course of a week or two.

These are great looking fish (especially with breeding colors), but I have found them to be more aggressive than any other cichlid. Do not underestimate them because of their smaller size.

Good luck!

I'd give the fry at least two or three weeks after becoming free swimmers before you attempt to remove them from the tank.

okay, i do not know their exact age because they werent mine, but by their size (1/4 in and showing black stripe) i would assume they are close to that age, maybe a lillte younger.

If the parent fish are still protecting the young remove them over a period of a couple weeks. If they are removed all at once your female could be in big trouble. The size of the young don't really matter. You could actually leave them in the tank until the parents prepare to lay a new batch. Then you'll be safe.

I have a 20 gallon to grow out the fry with krib fry. right now i split up the babies 50/50 (8 and 8, i assume the rest of the batch died at petco) in the tanks to see how they do ith and without there parents. in a week or so i plan on starting to remove the last 8 away from the parents.

Back
Top Bottom