Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
New oscar

He only has one eye he was born like it thoClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395275956.914721.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	229093Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395275973.434482.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	229094
__________________

__________________
jahonnimyfav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Supergummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 725
Thats awesome!
__________________

__________________
Supergummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
Thanks got him today
__________________
jahonnimyfav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,027
Good find! I'm sure he/she will have no problem finding food
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
Thank u and how do ur ell if a oscar is m or f
__________________
jahonnimyfav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonnimyfav101 View Post
Thank u and how do ur ell if a oscar is m or f
this is totally fresh in my mind because another member just asked and tx knew! The only way to tell is if they breed and you witness the f laying eggs! Boom!
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
Hahahaha that's funny
__________________
jahonnimyfav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
this is totally fresh in my mind because another member just asked and tx knew! The only way to tell is if they breed and you witness the f laying eggs! Boom!
It's the truth! Otherwise there is not a single way to tell
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,297
Not trying to be negative here, but a fish born without one eye should have been culled long before someone had the opportunity to pay money for it. It's a bit troubling to me that this fish was sold.

That said, I'm sure you're trying to give the fish the best home you can. If I recall, you have a 55 gallon with some mixed African cichlids, including several Mbuna. You might be able to get by with this for a while, but it is very unlikely your fish will coexist harmoniously once they grow and mature. The oscar itself should eventually get large enough to be the only fish in a 55 gallon (although I prefer to see them in 75 gallons at a minimum). Unless you have several other tanks at the ready, you'll probably want to consider rehoming some of these fish before they mature and kill each other.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
Not trying to be negative here, but a fish born without one eye should have been culled long before someone had the opportunity to pay money for it. It's a bit troubling to me that this fish was sold.

That said, I'm sure you're trying to give the fish the best home you can. If I recall, you have a 55 gallon with some mixed African cichlids, including several Mbuna. You might be able to get by with this for a while, but it is very unlikely your fish will coexist harmoniously once they grow and mature. The oscar itself should eventually get large enough to be the only fish in a 55 gallon (although I prefer to see them in 75 gallons at a minimum). Unless you have several other tanks at the ready, you'll probably want to consider rehoming some of these fish before they mature and kill each other.
+1 I agree with this 100%! The only thing is, I highly doubt he was born with one eye. If the oscars are housed where this one was bought anything like the ones where I am, his eye was probably torn out. Most places here that aren't professional with fish keep their oscars mixed in with Africans and those aggressive algae eaters(Chinese, Siamese ?) I just find it too odd for a fish like that not to be culled.
+
__________________

__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adult Oscar, Tiger Oscar, Jack Dempsey, common pleco all need homes enrgizerbunny Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's 0 02-08-2014 05:52 PM
My albino Oscar help sick oscar flip over Tippytoe Member Introductions 0 10-30-2013 10:13 PM
For Sale: Red oscar, red devil, tiger oscar Oscar98 Archive 0 06-19-2013 05:24 PM
New Oscar oscarbreeder New Acquisitions 4 04-15-2005 12:31 PM
New Oscar today!!! oscarbreeder New Acquisitions 6 03-21-2004 09:02 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.