New Oscar Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fitter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for advice moving to a new tank.

Currently I have 4 fish in a 36gal corner. 2 Oscars 6" and 8", 10" plecostamos and 8" catfish. They are quite large compared to the tank. I wanted a larger tank so...

I have picked up an All Glass Aquariums 92gal corner that was formerly a saltwater tank with an overflow and it is drilled w/1" supply and 3/4" return. It has a float with a prefilter that is about 2" tall and 1.5" dia. I got a couple of RIO 12H pumps. The area on the prefilter seems lacking and I was wondering if I should change systems or remove the filter and just run the float?

While money is always an object, I am looking for value at the end of the day. I am in need of filtration and would prefer a sump that is capable of accepting heaters. I would like to maximize surface area as the oscars are not interested in the larger food particles that pass their gills. The cost of changing media adds up quicker than investment from my past experience. I believe there might be a quieter alternative to the RIO pumps as test running one of them sounded extraordinarily loud. What would be an ideal filtration setup? Flowrate? Sump manufacturer? Should I run an additional hangon filter? How much heater should I run? 2x 200W?

Is there a problem with running the lights 96W each actinic and fluorescent or should I change them out (the light has a fan and UV filter)? I am going to attempt live plants. What substrate and plants might make it? The oscars have pretty much given up ripping out my present plants and I like plants or is this just folly?

I am looking to get the tank cycling soon and appreciate advice helping me make the right choices the first time.

Honestly I would get rid of everything but the Oscars the bioload they create will just about max max out that tank. It is recommended that two oscars have no less than a 75 gallon with a 90 gallon being the best.

Live plants will be dug up when your oscars hit around 4-5 inches and start to pull around on them it happens to most people I know that have live plants with oscars.

Plants are good because it blocks the line of sight between the oscars I mean if you had a roommate and yall didnt have walls wouldnt you get tired of him always being around that is the best way to explain it I think. Good luck with setting up your tank and I hope everything goes well.

You can buy a appropriately sized wet/dry sump filter, alot of setups include a good pump for a price.

Me, I'd go with either a Cascade1200/XP3/Eheim2026 and a AC110, I like the Canister/HOB combo, the canister is good at everything and better at Bio, the HOB is good at everything but better at Mech.
For heaters I like either the Visi-Therm Stealth or the Won Bros Pro heat IC Titanium, both these are unbreakable (by the O anyways :roll: :lol: ) and IMO are good reliable heaters.
I like to use two heaters, either one just capable of doing the job by itself, two heaters = redundancy and even heating with proper placement and circulation.
Two 200wt heaters should do the job, unless you live where it gets cold and keep your thermostat set low.
If you live in a warmer region you may not really need heaters.

I'd just like to add that a corner tank isn't optimal for two O's due to it's shape/footprint, but it will suffice...
Suffice only for the two O's, or one O and one Pleco or Cat... IMHO.

I wish you the best of luck with live plants and oscars.... IME i didn't work no matter what i did. they used to move rocks that wer the same size. i'm talkin about a 13' monsters.

I had them in a 90 gal. 4ft long 2ft high until they got to about 10'. They were sold with a 120 gal 4x2x2 i did get fry but got no furthur.

Filtration on the tank i ran a 1200ltr canister and a 2000ltrPH for flow so gunk doesnt settle. I found they like good flow, like to play in front of the outlets.
Try and stick with gravel its only going to get moved around.
I say keep the plec, toss the cat fish. The plec will keep it cleaner...
It will get too cramped so be prepared to have to part with somthing soon.. :(
the extra water volume in the sump will cater for the extra bio for now.

I think it was ChileRelleno That gave me some good advice on Ofish when I first joined about the fake plants and silicone the boats at the bottom and cover them with the gravel in your tank so it blends in where ever your O decides he wants it, wasn't that you???

T'was me...
cover base of plant liberally with 100% silicon, roll in dry subtrate, let cure for 24hrs and PRESTO!
O can move it wherever, and it looks ike it belongs there.

Back
Top Bottom