New Pair of GBR! (updated!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had an empty 10 gal (finally found someone to take convict fry!)

silica sand for substrate, Fanwort, hornwort and spatterdock for plants

crazyred said:
Sweet!! It looks great. Is it a male/female pair? If so, maybe you'll get eggs like I did.
The lfs guy said they are a pair, they are still young

Nice. Let us know how they do in the 10g. Tank looks lovely as do the fish.

Tad off-topic but how much light do you have?

Burks said:
Nice. Let us know how they do in the 10g. Tank looks lovely as do the fish.

Tad off-topic but how much light do you have?
1.5 wpg (15 watt light on 10 gal)

rams are doing great today, great color, active and they are eating!!!

right now they are onlyu about 1/2 inch i hope to grow them out in the 10 gal and then transfer them to my (soon to come) 90 gal planted tank in a few months!

You're rams look great! Hopefully one's a male and the other a female.

Going off topic, is that brown algae on your fan wort?

Friendly said:
Going off topic, is that brown algae on your fan wort?
you know i'm, not sure. i have 5-6 other stocks in my 28 that look great, this one just would not stay rooted, so i moved it to the ten to give the rams a little more cover...

JDogg said:
you know i'm, not sure. i have 5-6 other stocks in my 28 that look great, this one just would not stay rooted, so i moved it to the ten to give the rams a little more cover...

Personally I think the reason why it's looking brownish is because of the substrate that it is in. Silica sand is really not a good substrate for plants. I think you would be better off buying fake plants for that tank.

Also I'm sorry to hear that your rams have ick. Is it really bad or is it just a spot or two on their bodies?

Friendly said:
JDogg said:

Personally I think the reason why it's looking brownish is because of the substrate that it is in. Silica sand is really not a good substrate for plants. I think you would be better off buying fake plants for that tank.
it looked like that before i moved it
Also I'm sorry to hear that your rams have ick. Is it really bad or is it just a spot or two on their bodies?
just a few white sponts, maybe 10 or so on each fish

Let us know how the ick treatment progresses. Sorry to hear about getting ick. But the nice thing about GBR's, they like the warmer water. So you will be just fine. I think their temp range is up to 88 degrees, so even at 89 degrees, they will be comfortable.

Good luck with the new GBRs!

Oh yeah, get rid of that silica sand substrate...it sucks for plants. :wink:

img_657066_0_53ab78270c8c9ed9584010faa2a7aec1.jpg

maxwell1295 said:
Good luck with the new GBRs!

img_657079_0_53ab78270c8c9ed9584010faa2a7aec1.jpg
is that silica sand in your planted tank????

JDogg said:
just a few white sponts, maybe 10 or so on each fish

I really hope the heat treatment will get rid of the ick! It’s a good thing that you spotted it early!

maxwell1295 said:

See but the sand grains in your tank look much larger than the sand grains in JDog's tank. The really fine grains compact too tightly and cause the roots of plants to rot. I should have mentioned grain size in my other post.

Friendly said:
See but the sand grains in your tank look much larger than the sand grains in JDog's tank. The really fine grains compact too tightly and cause the roots of plants to rot. I should have mentioned grain size in my other post.
i could move the plant to my other ten gallon with play sand

Can anyone tell from this picture if i have a pair?

I think the one on the left is a male and the one on the right is a female, but i would love a second opinion!

thanks!!!! :D

The one on the left is definitely male, and the one on the right is female for sure. Look at the pelvic fins (the ones under the belly). The males extends past the start of the anal fin, and look at the female, her's doesn't even come close. And in the pic, looks like a pink belly to me. Now isn't she a cutie? Yes, you do have a pair. Congrats.... :)

Back
Top Bottom