new plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know that mbuna don't do well with plants for the most part bc of digging. If I put something like duckweed or some other floating plant would it stand a chance? Also other plant suggestions?

They would be fine but be prepared to be scooping out handfuls ever month, it grows fast. And maybe java moss

if you have a lot of plants, they will absorb nitrates, but you also need good lighting.

Try feeding less and do a HUGE
PWC then another partial in a day or two and test.... Over feeding can lead to your higher levels of nitrates, and need for more or larger PWC. Hope this helps....

aa108 said:
if you have a lot of plants, they will absorb nitrates, but you also need good lighting.

Not sure exactly what it is but it uses 4 T5ho bulbs. 54 watts each.

Bl80 said:
Try feeding less and do a HUGE
PWC then another partial in a day or two and test.... Over feeding can lead to your higher levels of nitrates, and need for more or larger PWC. Hope this helps....

I try to do a pwc every 3 days. I take it down to where my emperors are just barely still running. It is hard for me to feed bc I keep greedy mbuna and have to hand feed mysynodontis 9 synodontis cats. I will def try to cut back though.

I have Mbuna too, yes they are greedy... But they will ALWAYS act hungry and eat... From what I've heard from others duckweed can be a nightmare. Its actually illegal in some places. I googled it once, way back when I was looking for cover for a guppy tank.

Would there be any down sides to duckweed or plants like it?
only downside is that it will grow too fast and it will probably shade your aquarium. btw your lighting is more than good enough for duckweed.

Back
Top Bottom