new rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about this time last year I set up my 20 tall hoping I'd be able to come by a pair of blue rams...well today I got my pair! Both were displaying great color in the store & after drip acclimating them for 3 hrs they've entered their new home...best pic I could get as they're exploring their new digs...

ForumRunner_20130314_215050.jpg

Thanks Red sea...will be keeping an eye on em closely..have heard a lot about lack of good genes in the farm raised rams,so makes me a little nervous...any inside hints/advice would be appreciated...overall I'm excited to have gotten a pair&I'm sure to enjoy keeping them..

I picked some up the other day too..both are side by side and doing good so far. They're going to their own tank hopefully tomorrow to start breeding when they are ready. It seems GBRs have been very popular lately.

I'm thinking about switching from tap water to ro water in this tank...a friend suggested using ro when I do my water changes(so 5g per week)until I'm at 100% ro...I have 2 other ro tanks but they were started with roy concern is can this affect the cycle&what if any effects would this have on the rams at this ratio? I reconstitute with seschem replenish as well&treat with prime to be safe too...also the ro in the 5g jug is at room temp&my tank temp is 82 degrees,so any clever ways to prep the ro to temp before adding? I of course thought I could use an aquatic heater or even a heating pad...any thoughts?

Congrats on your new rams! I have two in my 40G that they share with discus. Mine are doing well in hard and alkaline water that I soften with some pond peat granules. The problem with RO is that you need to heat it before you pour in the tank. And for rams, they like at least a 50% water change every week. I think if you have a food-safe 10 gallon container (check out the pet food containers in the pet section) with a heater and you don't mind this extra step, your fish will be very healthy and happy.

So as I've not kept gbr's before I did read up on breeding behaviors...my pair have been bonded,so today after lights came on the mail chases the female until she darts behind some cover...so wandering if he's being overly aggressive trying to spawn with the female? Also her belly has become a bright purple&is this a sign that she's ready to spawn?

My male just slowly follows my female around and they eat together and he shares his food and everything. I was suprised with how nice he is being lol.

So everything back to as it was,no chasing just staying close& eating together...maybe he was mad because she wasn't ready?

So as I've not kept gbr's before I did read up on breeding behaviors...my pair have been bonded,so today after lights came on the mail chases the female until she darts behind some cover...so wandering if he's being overly aggressive trying to spawn with the female? Also her belly has become a bright purple&is this a sign that she's ready to spawn?

Bright pink/purple belly shows when she is ready to spawn.
Mine spawn at least once a month. Never taken the time to raise the fry as they need green water/micro worms for the first week or so I've heard. BBS takes up enough of my time lol don't need another fry food to take care of.

Had to separate my rams as the male had driven the female to the top corner where she had been for an hr sitting vertical...in the process of drip acclimating her to another tank...I believe she'd out right rejected him&with him pursuing her continuously almost stressing her near death....not sure what to do here??? Should I introduce a new female? Lost at the fact that she rejected him after they were seemingly paired...

If you are able to get another female I would try..it could just be the male though. He could just be abusive..you can't force it on them. It is sometimes recommended to have a 2:1 ratio for male to female.

Possibly..but I don't think so. They maybe just aren't compatible or that he is too aggressive. How long have they been together now? And does he always chase or just sometimes?

I moved her to the heavily planted 36g bow...ill try another female&then I should know who's the problem...

you made the right call. Hiding vertically in the corner of the tank behind a heater or filter tubing is a sure sign that things aren't going right. Once you get another female you might want to try adding the first one back in, things may be different once he feels comfortable in his new home and with a 1:2 ratio. You can always take her out again if she shows signs of distress again.

Called my lfs today to see if they had another female,so luckily I was in luck&got another nice looking female...in the process of acclimating both females into the 20g tall...the male is currrently in,a breeder net,after acclimating the ladies I thought I'd let em have the run of the tank for 4 to 5 days&let the male back into the population...

Back
Top Bottom