New Red Empress Hap :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a Red Empress Hap today, he's about 3.5 - 4 inches, a bit smaller than my Placidochromis Jalo (although in the photos he looks a bit bigger since he's closer to me lol) and just tossing up a few photos, he's only been in the main tank for about 30 minutes, so was a bit hard to get a still shot of him :lol:

img_3078921_0_230d7b6aa877a4717e254a4ed2415fbe.jpg

img_3078921_1_38487e30090e969a24b2cf3d94d141b5.jpg
img_3078921_2_3c004f4d8f8cd80a0bfea5486fac3c00.jpg
img_3078921_3_b110b485a609425f927673f9e98dc84d.jpg

Those fish look to be in great condition do u use anything to treat your water or just use tap with dechlorinator?

Ok, I also have african cichlids and I use straight tap water with prime dechlorinator and they seem to be doing really well so I was curious as to what u used because I know they like hard water and some people like to replicate there environment to mimic there natural habitat... I have kept many species of fish with just straight tap water from Redtail Catfish to tetras to Discus and they all did very well except the Discus. They needed R/O water to soften it. But other then discus I have had great luck with local tap water with prime. I do weekly water changes of 25% in a well established tank with my Africans and they to seem to be very hungry all the time and have been growing good with beautiful color....do you think all that is necessary? I even have Africans breeding in my tank. I keep thinking of trying another tank with hard water and hi PH but I just don't see the benefit. Am I wrong? Will the fish look better be healthier.. Or have these fish been breed in normal tap water and are acclimated to these conditions and are thriving with a PH of 7.6. Now I'm not an expert but I have had fish for 2 yrs now and love to learn new things.. So I'm open to any suggestions people may have thank you in advance

Personally I do it in order to provide the best environment for them, even though a few are tank bred, their system in my opinion thrives in their preferred water conditions. Yeah they can adapt to a bit lower parameters, because African cichlids are more hardy, but I still think it's best to have them in their preferred conditions.

Ok thanks I was just curious what other people thought about changing the PH.. Everybody says that u can have swings in your ph so I always just stayed away lol. Also I have 2 large tanks and salts and stuff can add up in cost quick.

It is pretty easy to raise pH/hardness as long as you are methodical and understand what you are doing.

The swings are often caused by people using chemicals to lower pH and than just having it swing back due to the amount of KH in their water.

Buy your supplies at Costco to keep costs low, and once you have your pH and whatnot in check by raising it slowly weekly during each water change, then it should be easy sailing from there on out.

Back
Top Bottom