New Red Texas Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got this baby Red Texas a couple of days ago. Hopefully a fertile male. It's only 3" long but really pearled out well, with a lot of red showing through. Might be a fader, too early to tell. I'm
hoping to breed this RT with my "Probable" Female unfaded RT. I know it's a long shot. I posted pics of this RT on another forum seeking expert RT keepers opinions on quality. So far opinions expressed have been lower than expected.:facepalm:
Masterpeice Red Texas can sell for $200. Bought this little guy for pocket change. I'm happy with the purchase top quality or not. A few pics of the new RT and one of the adult female RT.

Attachments

• 20180611_102559.jpg
    20180611_102559.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 386
  • 20180610_164310.jpg
    20180610_164310.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 20180610_161524.jpg
    20180610_161524.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 20180611_140012.jpg
    20180611_140012.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 253
They are getting a lot more common here, but the genetics vary between breeders. There evidently is no true Red Texas breeding standard. I originally understood that a Red Texas Cichlid was a Green Texas Carpintus × Blood Parrot x Green Texas Carpintus. My original RT is likely that combination. The new RT looks like it might be a Green Texas Carpintis × Flowerhorn, or Green Texas × Trimac. Either way, I think they are nice looking cichlids. A little on the aggressive side though.

Never mind the plan to have my two RT's cohabitate. The adult RT's normally docile attitude did a complete 180 when I introduced the baby RT, two days ago. It has been constantly on the hunt looking to kill the baby RT and any other fish that gets in the way.
I tried rearranging the hardscape, but the extreme aggression continued. I transferred the adult RT to another tank this morning.

I wouldn't be surprised if my RT is a cross between a Pearl Scale Carpintis × Flowerhorn. There's no telling anymore. Apparently there are no set standard guidelines regarding RT
breeding proceedures. All I know for sure is that he's growing very fast, and is a little on the aggressive side.

Just an update. The baby Red Texas Cichlid is not a baby anymore. I've never kept a fish that grew so fast. He has doubled his size since June, now a little over six inches. It has become much too aggressive to keep in the display tank and has graduated to Wet Pet status. I'm currently keeping the RTC in a semi-private 65 Gal. tank.
It doesn't look like he will turn red, which is the breeders goal. I kind of like his blue green color
anyway.

Attachments

• 20180815_203535.jpg
    20180815_203535.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 626
Thanks King Fisher. I traded in or re-homed most of my NW cichlids for my new African setup.
I kept a Green Terror, several Firemouths and the Red Texas thinking I might snag a used big tank someday and start an aggressive setup. Unfortunately once in the smaller 65 gal. tank
The RT killed two FM's, the first day. I re-homed the survivors.
Anyway, the Red Texas is turning into a pretty fish. My pic didn't really show the reds on him.
One odd thing about this RT; it's growing some really big teeth. Not the common little nubby cichlid front teeth. Oh well, no telling what red variety of cichlid was used to make this hybrid.

Good to know....I keep a firemouth. Aren't Texas cichlids mixed with all kinds of cichlids...no standard?

There are several true varieties of Texas Cichlids. The Red Texas is a hybrid. I think the breeding process goes something like this: Green Texas Carpintis male × (Blood Parrot or
Red Devil or some other CA red cichlid, female) the female offspring are breed back to a male Green Texas Carpintis. The goal is a Texas Carpintis shaped hybrid with bright red & white pearling. I think only a very small percentage of the hybrids turn red.

I think you told me that a GT was fairly well tempered but a Texas has a temper. Strange that a GT is bred into making a Texas but the tempermant is bad.

I think I told you that the Rivulatus, Green Terror (GT) attitude really wasn't too bad, and that their bad reputation wasn't warranted.
The Green Texas (GT) Carpintis usually has an aggressive attitude, and is a big part of the breeding recipe of the Red Texas Cichlid hybrid. Green Terrors (GT) are not involved in the process. The Red Texas Cichlid might have a worse, even killer attitude depending on what variety of red Central American Cichlid was added to the mix.
I've read where Red Texas breeders have used Red Devil / Midas, Feastae Red Terrors (RT) as well as the usual Blood Parrot to produce this hybrid.
I think too many different varieties of cichlids with the same abbreviated initials (GT) and ( RT) have confused things.

Ahh ok. That's right. Got mixed up. I knew the Texas cichlid was a mixture of fish. That fish of yours is growing exceptionally fast. Far from the growth rate of your firemouths.

Back
Top Bottom