New salvini!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I got a salvini cichlid at a lfs about 45min away from my house. They also have a blue arowana i may buy. Here is a pic its not that good. It is still in the quarantine tank with a healing female con. I will get some better pics tomorro.

Attachments

• image-2579456542.jpg
    image-2579456542.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 157
They get nasty as they mature. So they need their own space.

As far as the aro, blues are overrated and not worth the price difference. I'd take a jar over a blue any day of the week. If you get one seal the top off everywhere they are jumpers. My jar jumped on me about two months ago.

A large tank is the best tip I can give, like Aski said they are extremely aggressive and I've had them kill festae in a 4ft tank.

Last edited:
its going to grow up a little in a 55 with some cons but when it gets about 4.5-5 in it will go into the 6ft with 2oscars and 1jd. may get jewel cichlids too.

Is this a single or a pair? A single should work. But a pair might not specially after sals pack on some size. At 4-5" I'd bet money it kills your cons in that 55. As a single or pair.

They get gnarly teeth for being a small/med size fish. and it's a common misconception that they stay small. Males can reach upwards of 10" although 8" is the more common size.

Basically sals are a more ballsy version of JD's. and I would treat them as such,

The 55 is the grow out. I just picked up the 150 today. Just a single. About 2-3inches

Attachments

• image-3039705212.jpg
    image-3039705212.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 114
Glad you got the tank finally! Good luck with it and keep an eye on that salvini!

Thanks! The stock you helped me come up with is going to be changed slightly cause the festae are hard to find. But the tank will be setup and cycling by saturday haha. The salvini is awesome! My mom actually likes it haha

My Salvini is the only fish in my tank that will challenge my jag. He's in there with a jag, umbee, midas, and festae. Maybe not the smartest fish, as his tail has a huge slit in it right now because he picks fights that he can't win, but he survives and never appears to be stressed much. If you're gonna keep one with less aggressive fish I'd make sure he's one of the smaller fish in the tank. If u got more aggressive fish that'll outgrow the Salvini, I'd probably make sure he's one of the bigger guys in your tank as he more than likely won't grow as fast.

So guys a bit of an update a couple months later. I cant post pictures because i reached my quota but you can go on youtube and check out all my tanks. Just search "keegan ellis" in the channels section. I have 5 videos of fish tanks. The salvini is about 3.5-4" long in the 150 with a pair of cons (ugh) a pair of jewels (double ugh) two 1.5-2.5" festae and 2 2" jags.

Back
Top Bottom