New Shell dweller tank ( multis )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just setup my 20 long for home to a colony of multis! What do you guys think of the setup? also, how many do you suggest I buy from davesfish to start a colony? Appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• image-3576591295.jpg
    image-3576591295.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 681
  • image-4282752208.jpg
    image-4282752208.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 271
The tank looks fantastic! I have 12 adults in my colony of multies and still have room for more. I would just suggest that you get all the fish you want at once. If you add more later, they can be aggressive with newcomers. They will however welcome lots of their own fry, so you don't have to max out the numbers at the beginning. The colony will grow. I would suggest 8-10 to start out, to make sure you get several females. The only other suggestion I have is to make sure you have enough shells so that each fish has at least 2-3, and even more are appreciated though not totally necessary. Good luck to you! Can't wait to see pics when you get your fish. You will LOVE these little guys!

Just don't love it too much right now because they WILL change it and redecorate lol they move mountains of sand

Thanks guys! Did quite a bit of research on these fascinating guys! I am hoping the middle rock allows for almost two colonies to take place. I have roughly ~48 shells in there, may get more down the line. 8-10 to start with? What is considered the limit of a tank this size for them, once they start spawning etc.?

Thanks guys! Did quite a bit of research on these fascinating guys! I am hoping the middle rock allows for almost two colonies to take place. I have roughly ~48 shells in there, may get more down the line. 8-10 to start with? What is considered the limit of a tank this size for them, once they start spawning etc.?

I usually say 1 for every 2 gallons, given that the tank is longer than taller

My first generations of fry are just now getting to breeding age, only 4 made it (spent time in the hospital and lost most of my fry as I was there for 2 weeks :/) but I have 30-40 more fry now...they reproduce like crazy and the spawn size gets larger each time

That is one of the best looking Neolamprologus multifasciatus Tanks i have ever seen!

Wow I have heard they are prolific breeders! I am beyond excited to watch their behavior, placed the tank right by the couch!

Thanks! I have high hopes for the tank now I just need the little guys in there!

Wow I have heard they are prolific breeders! I am beyond excited to watch their behavior, placed the tank right by the couch!

Thanks! I have high hopes for the tank now I just need the little guys in there!

I'll save you the headaches by telling you that NOTHING else can go in the tank. These are incredibly territorial and will pester any other species to death, even ghost shrimp! I do agree with the advice given earlier about purchasing them. Buy them ALL at the same time, they do not like newcomers and I had my colony kill a female I tried to introduce

Its also cool to watch them rearrange the sand and shells one mouth full at a time.

Thanks, always love avoiding headaches! I was debating putting a calvus in there, I saw many setups that did that but think I am going to go species only. Any thoughts? Also I see Davesfish.com has them for 8.00 ea, does that sound about right? I am thinking of getting 8? Or should I start with a smaller number?

8 sounds perfect!

I'd avoid the calvus, mine are in a 39 gallon column and my calvus is getting wrecked right now, they grow so slow and are usually tiny when you get them. My leleupi isn't a fan of anyone, either

I agree with keeping it a species tank. You will definitely see them at their best if they have the place to themselves. I have a couple of snails in there to clean up and they are generally left alone. I wouldn't add anything else though. They will naturally form two distinct colonies over time if there are two dominant males. I had two and they were always messing with each other until I loved a rock so that it blocked their view of each other and now they are perfectly happy with each other. You did a great job on your tank!

If I can find some of those fish Id love to breed them too. That tank looks amazing.

Awesome thanks for the insight everyone, decided to skip the calvus. I hope to order these guys the end of next week so I can be home for delivery! I will make sure to post pics once they agave arrived

Have to admit I have never seen anything like it- are they actually fish inside the shells or snails? Even tried to Google but came up with nothing.....intrigued :fish2:

Yes, they're nicknamed shell dwellers for their living habits. They use the shells of the neothauma snail in lake Tanganyika as protection from predators. They live, sleep, and breed in these shells

image-103460633.jpg

Attachments

• image-1055330510.jpg
    image-1055330510.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 83
Where you able to get your hands on neothauma shells? I had to settle for escargot shells!

I use Mexican Turbo snail shells, Neothauma shells are hard to find, and turbo shells were mostly free from a few different LFS

Back
Top Bottom