New South American Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blizzardgecko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to set up at least a120 gallon South American Cichlid Tank, and I want a flowerhorn for sure. Im looking for some advice as to what would be some compatible tank mates for it.

You could get an oscar if you like those. Also there are red devils, jack dempseys, green terror, jaguar, severums, blood parrots (i dont recomend). But you have to think about aggression levels and how big they get because flowerhorns get big and that only leaves room for like one other fish and a pleco.

I want to set up at least a120 gallon South American Cichlid Tank, and I want a flowerhorn for sure. Im looking for some advice as to what would be some compatible tank mates for it.

With such a big tank why ruin it with a hybrid? So many other beautiful options out there. Plus I'm pretty sure that flowerhorns would technically be considered centrals considering the fish used to produce them are Central Americans.

Below is a link to a site with a list of South American species.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/species_list_south_america.php

You could get an oscar if you like those. Also there are red devils, jack dempseys, green terror, jaguar, severums, blood parrots (i dont recomend). But you have to think about aggression levels and how big they get because flowerhorns get big and that only leaves room for like one other fish and a pleco.

Everything you listed is Central American with the exception of severums.

With such a big tank why ruin it with a hybrid? So many other beautiful options out there. Plus I'm pretty sure that flowerhorns would technically be considered centrals considering the fish used to produce them are Central Americans.

Below is a link to a site with a list of South American species.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/species_list_south_america.php

I'm not going to lie and say I know what most of those are on that site, but I would like to say that I don't feel safe ordering fish online because of where I live. That really only lets me get some of the more common cichlids on the market. I don't know if that changes things or not.

I should mention that I don't want to order fish through the mail because of where I live. That leaves me to some of the more common species available in my local pet stores.

North Dakota. It's way too cold here to order tropical fish, and I want to get the tank going before I go to basic training this summer.

Yikes......yeah that maybe a tough one. There are some species of South Americans that are seen in lfs but honestly I order most of mine or get them from local breeders. I love in south Louisiana though. Ask your lfs if they can order what you want. They have to be getting their fish shipped in from somewhere. That way they assume the risk for doa's. most reputable breeders or online fish dealers will use heat packs to insure the temp stay up during shipping.
Below is a list of a few that I order from you can google them.

Tangled up in cichlids
Discus origins
Snookn21
American cichlids online
The wet spot tropical fish

Yikes......yeah that maybe a tough one. There are some species of South Americans that are seen in lfs but honestly I order most of mine or get them from local breeders. I love in south Louisiana though. Ask your lfs if they can order what you want. They have to be getting their fish shipped in from somewhere. That way they assume the risk for doa's.

Yeah... Anyways if not a flowerhorn are there any other large cichlids you would recommend? One of my friends has a jaguar, but they seem too aggressive to be with other fish.

Yeah... Anyways if not a flowerhorn are there any other large cichlids you would recommend? One of my friends has a jaguar, but they seem too aggressive to be with other fish.

I edited my last post with some online suppliers.

Jags are very aggressive as are a lot of Central Americans. If your looking for a more community style tank I would suggest some geophagus. Several beautiful species and some can be found in a lfs. They do great in groups and are very tolerable of tank mates. Especially in a tank that size. The wet spot always has cool geos. Here's a few of mine.

Attachments

• image-642165565.jpg
    image-642165565.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 71
I edited my last post with some online suppliers.

Jags are very aggressive as are a lot of Central Americans. If your looking for a more community style tank I would suggest some geophagus. Several beautiful species and some can be found in a lfs. They do great in groups and are very tolerable of tank mates. Especially in a tank that size. The wet spot always has cool geos. Here's a few of mine.

I'm thinking that I want to get CA cichlids. I think I'll try talking with a pet store to see if they can order something in. Also If I got the fish at the same time at around the same size would that cut down the fighting?

Yes that would cut down on aggresion. I got a small red oscar and jack Dempsey at the same time a year ago and they get along really well.

I'm thinking that I want to get CA cichlids. I think I'll try talking with a pet store to see if they can order something in. Also If I got the fish at the same time at around the same size would that cut down the fighting?

They usually do fine as juveniles but when they mature the aggression really starts to kick in. Centrals are great. Here's my festae and beani. Both species are means sob's

Attachments

• image-2886507801.jpg
    image-2886507801.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1366675400.jpg
    image-1366675400.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 63
They usually do fine as juveniles but when they mature the aggression really starts to kick in. Centrals are great. Here's my festae and beani. Both species are means sob's

Thanks for the advice I'll talk to the pet store sometime soon and figure out what I want.

Back
Top Bottom