New Tanganyika Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siclicluva

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to setup my 75gal tank for AC from Lake Tanganyika, but not sure which species are compatible with the least amount aggression. I was thinking of housing Alto Calvus, Julie Transcriptus, Lamp Occellatus or meleagris and maybe some Cyps leptosoma; however, i'm not sure how many i can keep of each species and what order should i add them. I've numerous cookie cutters and sorts but still Soooo confused! :confused: Any advice would be helpful.

Siclicluva said:
I want to setup my 75gal tank for AC from Lake Tanganyika, but not sure which species are compatible with the least amount aggression. I was thinking of housing Alto Calvus, Julie Transcriptus, Lamp Occellatus or meleagris and maybe some Cyps leptosoma; however, i'm not sure how many i can keep of each species and what order should i add them. I've numerous cookie cutters and sorts but still Soooo confused! :confused: Any advice would be helpful.

If you are looking to have any fry I'd keep the calvus out of the mix they are specialized in fry predation trust me I've seen it a hundred times lol! If you are new to tangs go for less aggressive (in a little lesser sense) shellies like brevis or multi's occellatus can be hard on each other if not given the proper space,shells,and territory. Julie tran and regani are two of my favorites. Transcriptus will do great for you. Remember keep your water quality up and the chemistry hard for those tangs! In place of the calvus try one of the species of tang gobies once you get a nice layer of algae going on the rocks for the guys to graze on. Caudopuntatus are another great choice for a tang tank. Hope this helps a bit!

No plans to keep any fry from any breeding that take place, only to keep as many tangs in a community tank with the least aggression as possible.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Siclicluva said:
No plans to keep any fry from any breeding that take place, only to keep as many tangs in a community tank with the least aggression as possible.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Just to stress the as many part in your statement tangs can not be over crowded like Malawi cichlids they need room or your gonna lose a lot of fish my friend. If you don't care about fry than by all means get a calvus I'm sure some may survive even with out you even trying, most tangs are great parents. Post a pic soon I'd deff like to see your set up!:)

Back
Top Bottom