New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwarf cichlids aren't some sort of mutated "miniature" they're just different species which don't get as large... lol...

They're typically extremely sensitive to pH and nitrates... I would recommend getting your tank well established before adding any dwarf cichlids.

Ok so what is a good fairly hardy species of dwarf cichlids that will breed, has tons of personality, and are fun to watch and look at? And if they exist, lol, what size tank would be ideal for them, I'm not wanting 30 remember just 3-5 if I can handle them lol

You know in all the years I've kept cichlids I never had or saw a dwarf before. i apologize for my ignorance. LOL Are they as colorful as the "regular" size ones? I'm learning here too!

Lol... that was a lot of specifications... I'm not quite sure what to tell you at the moment, and I need to go, but I can help later if someone else doesn't before I'm back. Just keep in mind, the "Apisto" group encompasses the Apistogramma genus, as well as several others... It is just a general term for dwarf cichlids, and if you search for fish online, that can get a little confusing.

HTH,

~Kaden

Ok thanks for helping so much guys I'd love to learn all I can about cichlids so I can make a good decision, Carey how big do some of your regular cichlids get?

Oh, it's fine Carey, just wanted to clarify. They're from SA, and yes, are definitely as colorful as mbunas and other African cichlids, just typically more in the red range of colors. Look up Apistogramma cacatuoides, or Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. There are lots of them that pop up in google image searches. :D

(all kinds of cichlids deserve a little love, even the small ones. haha)

~Kaden

Cichlids are very aggressive. It's not fair to put a peaceful Cory in with them. Please don't do it at the cories expense. If you want cichlids then have a species tank. I may have misread the post, but did you mean you were willing to not have cories or lose them to the cichlids?

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Currently I have mostly juveniles at about 2-3 inches. i do have 2 Red zebras and a Zebra OB that are at the 4 inch mark. I'm in no hurry to breed them. lol

I definitely meant that I was willing to not get the corys, I would never get a fish with the knowledge that the others would destroy it

Okay. Good, I figured you meant that, but I love cories and am getting some soon. I would hate to see someone who actually would put them in there. Thanks for clarifying.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

And I found some I like the look of, apparently the cockatoo cichlids has several variations including double-red, orange, and triple-red, along with just regular cockatoo, all are less than three inches and are supposedly suitable for beginners they look ideal, any input?

I don't know much about cichlids other than the aggressive factor. Someday I want to have some, but those sound cool.

Yeah they are if you google apistogramma cacatuoides, it will show you all the variations, they look really cool

Carey, what about some of the larger variety, I would prefer a mouth brooder, you know any lively ones that would do well?

Glad your finding some interesting stuff. You can also search the forum and see what people have to say. This is a great forum for asking questions. Wish I had known about this site before I setup my cichlid tank lol. But I have 2 other tanks I'm working on so I'm doing those right. :-D

Hmm not sure if all cichlids are mouthbrooders....I know I have them but i have africans. Thats a question for a real expert. lol

I know not all of them are, these minis are egg layers not brooders :( I really would prefer a brooder because of the behavior and the fact that more babies will usually survive.

Well you could pick out whatever species you want and keep to that species with a good male to female ratio and I would think you'll get to where you want to be.

if you want to just display them and have multiple species then its a different story.

Back
Top Bottom