new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I set-up a 10 gallon, using sand, rock, water, and filter media from my established 55 gal. How long should I wait before adding fish? How soon can I get reliable test results from the water?

If you brought in seeded filter media and water from the 55g you can add right away. As long as the 55g was fully cycled.

Koikid88 said:
If you brought in seeded filter media and water from the 55g you can add right away. As long as the 55g was fully cycled.

Thanks. Yes, the 55 is well established.

if it were me i would still add ammonia of some sort and test the next day to see if it ate through it

BHead707 said:
if it were me i would still add ammonia of some sort and test the next day to see if it ate through it

Wouldn't the fish poo, that transferred with the water, be enough for ammonia?

ya possibly but assuming that that tank is cycled the water should have 0ppm of ammonia thus none in the water, if you dont have a source of ammonia its no big deal,

your probably safe to add the fish but just make sure to test the next few days to make sure

BHead707 said:
ya possibly but assuming that that tank is cycled the water should have 0ppm of ammonia thus none in the water, if you dont have a source of ammonia its no big deal,

your probably safe to add the fish but just make sure to test the next few days to make sure

Visible poo came over in the sand I transferred. Would that be enough?

Assuming everything has calmed down in the tank and the 55 was fully cycled, you have a cycled 10G ready to go.
I would test now for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Do a pH and SG check, then add livestock.

The old tank water contains nothing useful, so you should prepare a few 20%-30% PWCs for the next few days to get prisitine conditions in the 10G.

cmor1701d said:
Assuming everything has calmed down in the tank and the 55 was fully cycled, you have a cycled 10G ready to go.
I would test now for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Do a pH and SG check, then add livestock.

The old tank water contains nothing useful, so you should prepare a few 20%-30% PWCs for the next few days to get prisitine conditions in the 10G.

Thanks a lot!

Yup, it was totally fine. I put all of my cyp fry and leleupi fry in the new tank and all is well. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom