New tank ideas... input wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
So... soon I'll be picking up a 75 gallon tank (to add to my collection of 2 5gallons and 1 29gallon).... I want it to be a cichlid tank (my current 29 gallon is a mbuna tank).

I'll most likely be moving over some of my cichlids from the 29 gallon as some might get a tad big for it... but after that I'll only have about 4 fish in the 75 gallon.

Things I want (if even possible):

- I want it to be a sand substrate (I have the LFS colored gravel right now, not a huge fan)... is there a better substrate option for cichlids?

- I want it to be a live planted tank (using store bought fake stuff now, not a fan)... is there plants they won't eat?

- I REALLY REALLY REALLY want some shell-dwelling cichlids (think they are just so cool)... is the all I can have?

My big concern is of course the plants and the shell dwellers. I've heard mixed reviews of cichlids and live plants, and shell dwellers are IMPOSSIBLE to find in my area, so I'd have to order some.... but can they even go in with other cichlids as they are so small? Or would it have to be shell dwelling tank only?

I have just started a 55 gallon Cichlid tank. I am using African Cichlids. Never heard of shelling dwelling, only African and American. I have heard that different Cichlids prefer different Ph. My brother in law has a 55 Cichlid tank and has a mix of African and American. He keeps his Ph low and they seem to all be fine. He also has a plant that grows on his rocks that looks awesome. I will have to ask him what the name is. I think as long as there is not alot of wood you should be fine. Wood softens the water and Cichlids like hard water. what type of Cichlids are shell dwellers?

from Lake Tanganykia

Here is a link to info about them: Shell Dwellers

I'm still researching... just want to know if they can handle themselves with other cichlids as they are so darn small... or if it has to be a shell dwelling tank ONLY.

I found a guy in my city who can get me shell dwellers at 5 for $10 (so $2/each)... if I get 10 of them he'll give em to me for $15 total.

I gotta decide how many and what other cichlids they will work with though in the 75 gallon.

I think you should stock Mbuna in the 75 and shell dwellers in the 29. They won't coexist even in a 75. Mbuna are just too aggressive IMO.

I think you should stock Mbuna in the 75 and shell dwellers in the 29. They won't coexist even in a 75. Mbuna are just too aggressive IMO.

Okay. So the 75 is coming probably another few months. Just planning ahead.

So you suggest moving all the mbuna over into the 75 gallon and then making the current 29 gallon a shell dwelling tank?

Few questions:

1. Is there anything that will go well with the shell dwellers?

2. How would the cycling work for the 75 gallon? Just put all 29 gallons into it and then fill it the rest of the way? Using all the same decorations and filters? I would probably switch to sand substrate, would that be okay?

3. Would I then need to fully cycle my 29 gallon tank again to get it ready for the shell dwellers?

I just really like the sand substrate so I want to eventually switch both tanks over to that.... unless it's just a bad idea.

I keep sand with my Africans in my 75g&my fluval edge aquariums..my Africans(lake malawi) love it as I changed over from rock substrate myself...I also use lace rock in the 75g....here's a couple pics yo...

ForumRunner_20111108_201259.jpg

ForumRunner_20111108_201237.jpg

ForumRunner_20111108_201208.jpg

ForumRunner_20111108_201151.jpg

Back
Top Bottom