New tank, new build, new fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heres some pics of the big guys :)

Attachments

• 236.jpg
    236.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 10000.jpg
    10000.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 196.jpg
    196.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Heres some pics of the big guys :)

I want me some of these, not too sure about the silver one tho I don't think I like his head/nose lol and I NEED one of those mutts In my tank for sure! I haven't seen a better looking cichlid yet. :)

I want me some of these, not too sure about the silver one tho I don't think I like his head/nose lol and I NEED one of those mutts In my tank for sure! I haven't seen a better looking cichlid yet. :)
Lol! Yes, the Compressiceps is aquired taste :) Thank you! That hybrid is sooo pretty, has an awesome blue sheen on him!

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Lol! Yes, the Compressiceps is aquired taste :) Thank you! That hybrid is sooo pretty, has an awesome blue sheen on him!

He really is, I've spoke to my breeder and told him to keep an eye out for one lol.

Right so hopefully ordering my tank tomorrow and was just thinking about cycling, I was originally gonna move my filter and fish from my community tank into the new one for a month to help seed the new filters, but then got thinking about when it's time To stock I'll have to do it gradually, so do u think i'll be better off starting a new cycle using ammonia? At least that way I'll be able To add more fish at once.

Tank is ordered!!!! Can't wait for this bad boy to arrive lol.
I've decided I'm gonna start a new cycle with this tank as I'll want to put quite a few fish in at the beginning, or could I use a bit of seeded filter material from my community tank just to jump start the cycle?
I'm also thinking about making a 3d background using styrofoam and a concrete mix, only thing is I hear it makes the ph crazy high so I'll need to soak it a few times to get the ph back to normal, is this true? I'll have time as I'm sure The cycle will take at least 3weeks.

Just been told tank wont be in til April 17th :( but still I've got more time to work on my background now :)

Waaaah! I hate waiting! Lol. Those 3D backgrounds r way cool! I don't see a problem with adding a bunch of fish at once as long as ur diligent with wc's. You will just have to keep a close eye on ur parameters. Definitely use some seeded material from an established tank, that will give a nice jump start on ur cycle.

AndrewsPistol said:
Waaaah! I hate waiting! Lol. Those 3D backgrounds r way cool! I don't see a problem with adding a bunch of fish at once as long as ur diligent with wc's. You will just have to keep a close eye on ur parameters. Definitely use some seeded material from an established tank, that will give a nice jump start on ur cycle.

Yeah tell me about it, me and patience are long time enemies haha.
I've decided against making my own 3d background seems like to much work lol, I'm just gonna buy one, its quicker and easier lol.
Im Gonna go buy a cheap filter after work 2, fill it with as much filter floss as I can and stick it on my community tank so when the new tank comes I'll put that filter floss in the new external filters to hopefully give the cycle a boost :)
i think this is the best part, shopping for stuff haha

Don-Lino said:
Im Gonna go buy a cheap filter after work 2, fill it with as much filter floss as I can and stick it on my community tank so when the new tank comes I'll put that filter floss in the new external filters to hopefully give the cycle a boost :)

This way works great for seeding. If you have any ceramic rings in your community tank they will also be great for seeding.

Malawi Freak said:
This way works great for seeding. If you have any ceramic rings in your community tank they will also be great for seeding.

Would It be better to add more ceramic rings into my external filter? I don't wanna take them out of there and make the community tank unstable, or was that what you meant?

Just ordered 25kg of holey rock for £50 :O, £50 for some rock, I must be crazy lol. I was gonna go for about 70-90 kg of rock all together, do yoi think that will be enough for my 405litre(107us gallons, I think) tank?
Gonna try get hold of some cichlid stones 2, they look cool!

Don-Lino said:
Would It be better to add more ceramic rings into my external filter? I don't wanna take them out of there and make the community tank unstable, or was that what you meant?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Don-Lino said:
Just ordered 25kg of holey rock for £50 :O, £50 for some rock, I must be crazy lol. I was gonna go for about 70-90 kg of rock all together, do yoi think that will be enough for my 405litre(107us gallons, I think) tank?
Gonna try get hold of some cichlid stones 2, they look cool!

I think more would be better. You may only get a few good tunnels out of that amount. Go to a local stream or river. It's free and makes a nice afternoon adventure.

Malawi Freak said:
I think more would be better. You may only get a few good tunnels out of that amount. Go to a local stream or river. It's free and makes a nice afternoon adventure.

Really? Argh man lol looks like this rock is gonna get expensive, but aslong as the gf don't see the receipts I dont think i'll be murdered hahaha, I'm not sure where there are any local streams or rivers the only water I have round me is a canal and it's not the cleanest so not sure if I'd wanna use any rocks I get from there. How much rock do u think I'd need? 100-120kg?

Don-Lino said:
Really? Argh man lol looks like this rock is gonna get expensive, but aslong as the gf don't see the receipts I dont think i'll be murdered hahaha, I'm not sure where there are any local streams or rivers the only water I have round me is a canal and it's not the cleanest so not sure if I'd wanna use any rocks I get from there. How much rock do u think I'd need? 100-120kg?

Weight isn't a great way to tell since some rocks are more dense than the others. Its all preference.

So went to my Lfs to get some sand and rock for my cichlid tank come back with a receipt of £850 and a 400litre salt water tank with sump hahaha looks like I'm moving over to the dark side lol thanks for all the info on cichlids tho. :)

Back
Top Bottom