Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Lino

Im Gonna go buy a cheap filter after work 2, fill it with as much filter floss as I can and stick it on my community tank so when the new tank comes I'll put that filter floss in the new external filters to hopefully give the cycle a boost
This way works great for seeding. If you have any ceramic rings in your community tank they will also be great for seeding.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak

This way works great for seeding. If you have any ceramic rings in your community tank they will also be great for seeding.
Would It be better to add more ceramic rings into my external filter? I don't wanna take them out of there and make the community tank unstable, or was that what you meant?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #53

Just ordered 25kg of holey rock for £50 :O, £50 for some rock, I must be crazy lol. I was gonna go for about 70-90 kg of rock all together, do yoi think that will be enough for my 405litre(107us gallons, I think) tank?
Gonna try get hold of some cichlid stones 2, they look cool!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Would It be better to add more ceramic rings into my external filter? I don't wanna take them out of there and make the community tank unstable, or was that what you meant?
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just ordered 25kg of holey rock for £50 :O, £50 for some rock, I must be crazy lol. I was gonna go for about 70-90 kg of rock all together, do yoi think that will be enough for my 405litre(107us gallons, I think) tank?
Gonna try get hold of some cichlid stones 2, they look cool!
I think more would be better. You may only get a few good tunnels out of that amount. Go to a local stream or river. It's free and makes a nice afternoon adventure.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #56

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Cool, I'll pick some up from my Lfs tomorrow
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #57

Quote:

I think more would be better. You may only get a few good tunnels out of that amount. Go to a local stream or river. It's free and makes a nice afternoon adventure.
Really? Argh man lol looks like this rock is gonna get expensive, but aslong as the gf don't see the receipts I dont think i'll be murdered hahaha, I'm not sure where there are any local streams or rivers the only water I have round me is a canal and it's not the cleanest so not sure if I'd wanna use any rocks I get from there. How much rock do u think I'd need? 100-120kg?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Really? Argh man lol looks like this rock is gonna get expensive, but aslong as the gf don't see the receipts I dont think i'll be murdered hahaha, I'm not sure where there are any local streams or rivers the only water I have round me is a canal and it's not the cleanest so not sure if I'd wanna use any rocks I get from there. How much rock do u think I'd need? 100-120kg?
Weight isn't a great way to tell since some rocks are more dense than the others. Its all preference.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #59

So went to my Lfs to get some sand and rock for my cichlid tank come back with a receipt of £850 and a 400litre salt water tank with sump hahaha looks like I'm moving over to the dark side lol thanks for all the info on cichlids tho.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahaha. Have fun in the salt world. Hopefully you can get the tank up and cycled within the next year.

Tags
build, new fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com