New tank rocks and egg crate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everybody I just scored 200 pounds of Riverock for $55 My plan is within the next week or so is to tear down my 70 gallon and swap/ set up my 90 gallon with these rocks and some from the collection I already have. I have a bunch of rock in mice 70 gallon right now but I did not use eggcrate on the bottom I've never used before so here's my question. I I went to Home Depot today and they had the only thing resembling what I thought I needed and was very thin plastic eggcrate will this work or should I be looking for something like an inch thick? If so any suggestions where I find that I've attached some pictures of the Home Depot stuff and you can see how thin it is probably a quarter inch. And if the tank dimensions are 48 x 18 do I measure an inch shorter in each direction so it fits easy?

Attachments

• image-2827815053.jpg
    image-2827815053.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3295334524.jpg
    image-3295334524.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 95
That's the right stuff, the edges are extra thin but it really isn't an issue. Just make sure its flush on the glass and you shouldn't have any problems.

That's the right stuff, the edges are extra thin but it really isn't an issue. Just make sure its flush on the glass and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you don't mind me asking what's the egg crate for..?

I wouldn't be. I have more than that now in 72 gallon and I've seen your setup - looks nice and sturdy

Awesome, I wanna go up the sides and rear corners and leave the middle for swimming space ill be adding more rocks should I add egg crate then..?

it cant hurt to add it, but with alot of sand on the bottom it should have a good enough cushion. Plus you dont want sand between the bottom of the egg crate and the tank, so you would need to take all your sand out first.

Reason I use the egg crate is to hold the rocks in one place since the cichlids tend to dig a hole near the rocks or right under the rocks. Might not be needed but you never know.

Got the egg crate and cut to fit. Cleaned the tank up and painted back black w 3 coats of black acrylic paint and letting it dry. My goal is to get tanks swapped out next weekend and have it all set up w my fish in. Maybe add a couple more. Want to add to my acei. Only have two now and maybe another peacock. The 2 I have in there rule the mbuna now. Weird I think!

Got the egg crate and cut to fit. Cleaned the tank up and painted back black w 3 coats of black acrylic paint and letting it dry. My goal is to get tanks swapped out next weekend and have it all set up w my fish in. Maybe add a couple more. Want to add to my acei. Only have two now and maybe another peacock. The 2 I have in there rule the mbuna now. Weird I think!

I know this might be a little off topic but is that the same egg crate the reef guys use for the hood less tanks?

I know this might be a little off topic but is that the same egg crate the reef guys use for the hood less tanks?

It's the stuff u put under your sand to evenly distribute the rock weight and not have the rocks directly on the glass. Look at start of thread for the pic of it

It's the stuff u put under your sand to evenly distribute the rock weight and not have the rocks directly on the glass. Look at start of thread for the pic of it

I know what it is lol I've been in this thread long enough lol I'm just asking if I wanted to go hoodless is this the same stuff..?

I know what it is lol I've been in this thread long enough lol I'm just asking if I wanted to go hoodless is this the same stuff..?

Ha I don't get what ya mean sorry! My current tanks hoodless just the lights on top but I got no egg crate involved! Sorry bud I'm just not following! How are the guys liking your new rock setup?

Ha I don't get what ya mean sorry! My current tanks hoodless just the lights on top but I got no egg crate involved! Sorry bud I'm just not following! How are the guys liking your new rock setup?

They love it, I thinned the heard a bitast weekend and they're happier, what are you going with?

They love it, I thinned the heard a bitast weekend and they're happier, what are you going with?

Moving all my mbuna and couple peacocks to the slightly bigger tank. The center brace on my 72 is broken so I wanted to move them before I have a potential disaster on my hands. Gonna do like a turtle in 72 I think. The mbuna I have are saulosi, white top hara, flavus, rustys, and clown labs. An on peacock and an ahli and a dragon blood peacock, oh and some acei.

Back
Top Bottom