New Tank setup 100G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txredneck29

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well after getting hooked doing all this on my 10gal tank I got a 40 and did a lot now I have also got a 100 gal bow front tank. Everyone kept telling me about african cichlids and after looking at them I have decided that looks like the fish I want to go with in my 100 gal.

So with that said I had no idea there was so many diff types of them lol. So questions I have is how should I set my tank up? Do I have to use gravel or can I use sand? How many of then can I have in a 100 gal? Are there any of the African Chlids that aren't compatable with each other?
Any other questions I forgot to ask maybe someone could fill me in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First pick a lake!
Malawi or Tanganyika.There are cichlids from Lake Victoria but they are less common.
The Malawi are meaner pretty common and interbreed whenever God lets them!
They need to be overstocked and are the fish that made fishless cycling what it is today.
The fishless cycle is a must as is almost if not full stocking IMO.
The Tangs are not as bad although there are some tough guys too.
They seem to be less colorful(not my opinion) and don't need to be crammed as tight as Malawis.
Stack stones for either on the bottom of tank in a very sturdy manner(on glass or egg crate) as both could dig to glass no matter how much substrate you use.
Then pour which ever you choose over the rocks and the fish will do the rest as far as scaping goes.
Whole lot more about these great fish so read up ,ask away and try to narrow down the options.

Well I chose them because I was hoping to get a nice saltwater look out of a fresh and seems the colors on these are amazing. When you say over stock how many are we talking? And I have to find somewhere to even buy some lol

Well I chose them because I was hoping to get a nice saltwater look out of a fresh and seems the colors on these are amazing. When you say over stock how many are we talking? And I have to find somewhere to even buy some lol

Most local LFS can do special orders and get big time shipping discounts. If they are not sold around your area that's what I would do.

Caleb

Just curious, why try to make the tank look like a saltwater tank when you can get a 30g cube and make an actual reef tank lol. I'm a fan of making the aquascape mimic the fish's natural habitat and as you said, Africans are the real showcase with their color, which always baffles me when I see tanks with tons of colorful stuff that takes away from the fish's color. Just my opinion though lol, but yeah just research mbuna and peacock/Hap cichlids and see which you prefer. The amount you can have in your tank should be explained in the documents you find on the specie you choose :)

Well I have been doing a LOT of reading tonight and have changed my mind with all of that. And now sticking to rock sand combo to try and match their natural habitat. Just having a tough time choosing which to go with. I didn't realize so many different types were out there. But. Seems so far I'm liking the mbuna but that's about the I ly ones I see most things on I've been reading.

**UPDATE**
Went today and picked up a marineland emperor 400 HOB filter (before any fish go in I'll have one more of these and a Fluval fx6) just needed something to get the water moving around. Also picked up 60lbs of white sand for the bottom (will be adding more). Going to be a long process I leave to go back to work on Thursday and will be gone for 3 weeks so will be a bit before I get any other things done lol

I'm trying to also find a good place to buy some of the rocks to be used in the tank but nothing local so far.
So far I havnt been able to find reliable information on how many I can have in a 100 gal. Only thing I can find is saying 1:3 M/F ratio. Anyone have any solid proper info on this?

M:F ratio depends on species you go with. 1:3 is fine with some, while others such as Demasoni is best in like 1-2:10

I was heckling around today trying to locate a actual fish store not just a general pet store and I may ha r sound a good one that claims to be excellent with Cichlids on the north side of Houston. And had great reviews so I'm hoping to make a stop in there soon and see if I can find someone who is knowledgeable on on this and can hopefully get me the species I'm looking for as well.

Back
Top Bottom