New tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flores.josue50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I want cichlids but I want a balanced tank. I'm in Gainesville ga so I'm not sure where to buy fish except from big chain pet stores. Any help will be appreciated.

What's your meaning of balanced :p do you plan on having females, which leads to breeding or do you want an all male show tank? Search online distributors for fish, better variety and shipping isn't too bad.

Top swimmers, middle swimmers, and bottom swimmers. Do you have any suggestion on a online distributer?

I'm cycling my tank for a another week before I add any fish. I have play sand as a substrate. I have a bio wheel hob filter and it keeps kicking up the sand.

You could try a water bottle baffle to reduce the out flow. Or add more media. That might help. Just curious, why are you waiting another week if your cycle is finished???

I was told I had to cycle a tank for a month. I got a used filter from a friend and I also got some of his water when she did a water change. I'm still not sure what kind of cichlids would do best in 46 gallon tank.

So, are you feeding the bacteria? Sometimes cycles can take more than a month, the only real way to tell with a fish-less is by testing.

I had no clue I had to feed the bacteria. I do a water test every two days and I haven't had any spikes for a week now.

Oh man. I'm going to give you bad news, so don't hate me. Bacteria need an ammonia source or they die. So you probably are back to block one and your tank is NOT cycled. BTW I know you are looking for an answer to your cichlid question, which I don't know the answer to, but if your tank is not properly cycled when you put those fish in, they will die, which sucks.
I would highly recommend you read up on how to properly cycle an aquarium, and get another media seed from your friend (they are great!) Here are some good reads to get you started.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

I'm guessing the ammonia spikes you experienced were the ammonia that came in with the seeded material then? Not sure, but reguardless, read the guide to starting a freshwater aquarium. It's good.

Oh man. I'm going to give you bad news, so don't hate me. Bacteria need an ammonia source or they die. So you probably are back to block one and your tank is NOT cycled. BTW I know you are looking for an answer to your cichlid question, which I don't know the answer to, but if your tank is not properly cycled when you put those fish in, they will die, which sucks.
I would highly recommend you read up on how to properly cycle an aquarium, and get another media seed from your friend (they are great!) Here are some good reads to get you started.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

That's assuming there was bacteria to begin with. Bacteria can lie dormant for a month without a food source. And only then does it begin to die off

That is true for some bacteria, no idea if it's the kind in aquariums or not. If she seeded from an established tank I assume there was bacteria. So, who knows! Maybe you will have a super fast cycle?? Here's to hoping :)

She has had the tank for 4 years. She has agreed to let me get another filter and some more water. Is it too late add plants to the tank?

Back
Top Bottom