New tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrehorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I have a 20H and will be getting a 45 and 55 later on today. I kind of want to try my hand at ciclids, as I have never kept them before. I do still consider myself a aquari-noob, so any and all advice, such as what size would be better, what kind of ciclids would be the easiest to keep, etc.

The bigger the better. Larger tanks are easier to maintain, and are more stable, as you have a larger water volume. For cichlids, depends on what you want. Do you want smaller and more colorful like Malawi cichlids? Or do you want larger like Oscars or blood parrots? Or do you want a beautiful planted environment with dwarf cichlids like German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams with an assortment of tetras and bottom dwellers? I know, I know, so much to choose from, lol. :)

Well, I was looking at maybe getting blood parrots. But then again, as I have said I have never kept them before. Don't want to get something that's too hard to handle, nor do I want something too easy. I guess when I go the not-so-LFS, I shall see what they have and got from there.

Just remember territorial issues. Some of the cichlids you'll need to keep in smaller groups due to aggressiveness.

Blood parrots get pretty big (around 8-10 inches), so a 75g would be better in the long run, if you plan to have more than one. A 55g isn't too wide...so the 75g would be better.

If you go with a 55g, I suggest some Yellow labs and Red Zebras. They can be kept in groups and would do well in a 55g tank.

You could probably get away with either group in a 40g if you go with that size.

Ok, I think my list is getting more refined. Hows about this:

2xConvicts
2-4 Sevrums
Jack Dempsey

I am looking at the convicts as my prmary choise, so if any of the others would not be good tank mates, let me know. Or if the convicts don't make good tank mates themselves, I just may scratch them.
Any advise on what to put in a 55gal with a max size of about 6-8 inches would be greatly appreciated.

Jack dempsey's will be 6 inches within their first year of growth. According to your requirements this is too big. The convicts I say would do nicely in the 55, you could even add a few more Central American cichlids. Bioptope in a book referenced says biotope for convicts shallow with wood and rocks, I'm thinking driftwood? Get a pair of Salvin's cichlids, Rainbow, and/or Firemouth's too. Wait till everything is right first don't jump the gun. Get your water parameters straight and do some research as to what you would do best with.

Upon talking to a lfs owner who has been keeping fish for 35+ years, I have decided to go with dwarf cichlids. Right now I have 2 bolivan rams in my community tank. They aren't bothering the other fish, but I noticed today that one seemed to be going after the other. I also have a feeder guppy (was scooped up when I got my starters) that is nipping at their tails. It doesn't nip at anyother fish's tails, just the rams. Next, I hope to get a couple of cokatoos.

Post a pic of both of the Bolivians if you can so we can tell if they are male/female. They may be 2 males fighting over territory. Maybe you should add 2 more so they may pair up.

Back
Top Bottom