Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New tank setup malawi cichlids

Hello all, I'm looking to do a new tank set up when I feel I know enough about them, I've read online that it's better to overstock so they dont territorial, I'm thinking of getting a roma 125 as I've already got two and I will be running the fluval u4 and a fluval u3 how many maximum can I put it?

AquaTanked

Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Overstock is really only applied to tanks that are all male show tanks. If you have a 1M:3F ratio per species, then overstock isn't necessary for the most part; however if you plan on having females & breeding, you should make sure that there are enough hiding places and distinct territories for your males to rule over. Though there will always be that 1 bad apple that wants to rule over the entire tank, which is just something you have to watch and adjust on the go. A 33 gallon tank is somewhat small, what is the length of the tank? You'll probably only be able to keep 1 species of mbuna if you plan on having females, try to at least upgrade to a 55 gallon tank and you'll be able to open yourself to a wider variety
(Vid Coming Soon)
SonicsDC25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, malawi, new tank, new tank setup, setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com