Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New tankmates for my Blood parrot

Me and my girlfriend got our first fish tank together a 38 gallon. she loved the blood parrot she saw at the store he/she is small right now only 2inches. After about a week we added a pleco he showed no aggression towards it, been about a week. Really wanted to add a few more fish to the mix. we were recommended to get some danios but she didn't really like them. What are some thoughts on different gourami's. She loves the colour on the dwarf gourami but they are pretty small, would my cichlid attack them? would a different gourami be better?

Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of pleco do you have?
Did you cycle your tank?
Dwarf Gourami would work. They are known to have health problems though so be aware of that.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes I have cycled my tank its a bushynose pleco it is pretty small right now but I was told it would grow to about 5-6 inches. I will have to look into the health problems, are they more delicate to ph and nitrate levels is that the issue? I was thinking about throwing a pair of them in a male and female.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purebeh View Post
Yes I have cycled my tank its a bushynose pleco it is pretty small right now but I was told it would grow to about 5-6 inches. I will have to look into the health problems, are they more delicate to ph and nitrate levels is that the issue? I was thinking about throwing a pair of them in a male and female.
Bad breeding but you could get lucky. I gave up on them because I was tired of them getting diseased.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

could any of these diseases be harmful to my other fish? would it spread or just effect the dwarf gourami? would most types of gourami work in my tank? I was looking at the blue gourami as well it gets a bit larger could I get a pair of these?. should I have more then one pleco in there for cleaning? also was wondering how many fish I could possibly have without making it overcrowded
Old 06-02-2019, 04:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any disease in a tank can move to other fish. I never had that problem but I would move them to a quarantine tank to medicate whenever I saw signs of disease. This is good practice but not full proof.

Blues are a little big for the room you have left in your tank IMO. Pearl or Honey Gourami's would be a better/smaller size.

I think if you added Gourami's you'd be maxed out in that tank with what you already got. Personally, I wouldn't put a blood parrot in a 38 gallon tank because they get pretty large. 55 gallon minimum IMO. Another pleco could possibly create aggression between the two because of the smaller tank size and territory issues.

So my advice would be keep your current stock and add a pair of Gourami's that are 4 inches in adult size or smaller. Also, create a good amount of filtration and plan on 50% weekly water changes.

Tags
ate, blood, mate, new tank, parrot, rot, tan, tank, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com