Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
New to Angel Fish....updated! All 3 have died

I just picked up my first trio of angels yesterday and I think I'm hooked! They apparently seem to enjoy the bubbles produced by my airstone and I'm a little worried. They are still fairly small (about quarter sized), so the force of the bubbles has a rather violent effect on them when they swim through......twirling them around, making them do flips, etc. Are they just playing around or should I be worried? Your experiences is appreciated!

Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Angelfish need a very slow moving current. Mine have a difficult time swimming through the water my filter is putting back into the tank.

I would just take out the airstone to be safe

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What's odd though is that the bubbles are in a remote corner of my 50 gal tank. They are swimming through the bubbles willingly and going back for more....that's the strange part.....
Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have 4 angels (1inch size) and they play with the bubbles. Sometimes I have heard them clicking when they play with the bubbles and they are just as loud as the 6 clown loaches in my other tank.

My airpump failed and I noticed a significant difference in my angels after 2 days without the airpump. When I bought a new one they were back to there usual selves once the pump was back on. I have these 4 angels about 6months. Before I had a breeding pair but they got 2 big for my 55g so I gave them to a friend of mine with a 100g tank. He uses an airstone to because he believes its a definite benefit.

Fast current in your tank would be a prob not an airpump.

The pair I gave to my friend are still going strong. They still play with the bubbles in his tank.

I hope you have many happy days with your angels!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not really sure what went wrong, but two have died already and one is not far off. They really never took a liking to the food I offered....I tried a variety of things, including flake food and frozen items such as worms. My other fish didn't bully them at all....the angels just seemed out of place like they never really got comfortable. Maybe I got a bad batch or mayeb I did something wrong....who knows. For the record.....my other fish are doing well and thriving much like they have over the past year and a half.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
So sorry to hear that. It could have been they were sick right from the lfs.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Sorry for your loss. It sounds to me like they were never healthy. If they were healthy from the LFS, they would have been front and center at all times begging for food.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry to hear about the deaths.

IMO the smaller the fish you buy the more chance that they won't survive the move to your new tank. When I gave my breeding pair of angels to my friend I bought 4 small angels and within 4 days they were all dead. I bought 4 more about 3 weeks later and 2 died within 2 days. I still have the other 2 and 2 more as well.

The later ones I brought in got ich within 1 day of purchase. They all looked fine before I bought them and I even had my LFS keep them for a week before I took them home. IMO fish have all kinds of parasites on them and only a healthy immune system can truly beat the diseases. If fish get stressed in anyway their immune systems simply don't work to well.

Keep on fishin and I wish you the best.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about your losses, Andos. The angels were probably sick when you got them. Few angels will pass up frozen bloodworms. Not eating might have been caused by an internal parasite.

In September, I bought 5 nickel-sized koi angels at a fish club auction from a very reputable breeder. Within a month, two had died of unexplained causes. There was no sign of bullying or external infections. They just never tore into their food like their tankmates did. Since then, the surviving trio more than doubled in size.

I would try angels again. Ask if you can watch the fish eat in the store. Hopefully you'll get a healthier batch next time.

Tags
angel, angel fish, die, died, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com