Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to chichlids thought

What would be better to get in new 34g tank. Chichlids or angelfish or possibly even barbs. Which are easier. Which is better able to breed and lastly what should I do with guppies after. Prob gonna leave in 15g

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most people say African cichlids need to bee in at least a 55. Not sure about Angels and Barbs

Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Angels prefer to be in tall tanks but I think 34 gallons are doable. People recommend at least 20g for schools of barbs.

Tiger barbs are slightly difficult to breed in my opinion. You could have kribensis as cichlids in a 34 gallon and they are quite easy to breed in my opinion. Great parents and interesting fish to watch.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The schichlids I was thinking about we're African chichlids (sm) from petsmart It says 29g minimum
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcannelis View Post
The schichlids I was thinking about we're African chichlids (sm) from petsmart It says 29g minimum
Unfortunately, they're not going to work. They could possibly be in a 29g when they're small but when they're larger and more mature, they will require at least 55g. They get very aggressive when they're large.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Of you like the look of cichlids there are numerous species of what's referred to as "dwarf cichlids" as I believe another poster has mentioned already. There are (don't grade me on spelling here) apistos, rams and (I think) kilifish would fall into that category as well. They all have numerous different types inside each species too. Bolivian,golden,electric blue.. I think if you want cichlids those would be the best fit for the size of your tank without having to eventually upgrade.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dont ever go by petsmart tank size requirements. They are way way off with this. I would at least double the tank size that they recomend.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Of you like the look of cichlids there are numerous species of what's referred to as "dwarf cichlids" as I believe another poster has mentioned already. There are (don't grade me on spelling here) apistos, rams and (I think) kilifish would fall into that category as well. They all have numerous different types inside each species too. Bolivian,golden,electric blue.. I think if you want cichlids those would be the best fit for the size of your tank without having to eventually upgrade.
Then that's probably what I'll do
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have settled on rams and after I get the tank on Easter they'll be in there a week later
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you are getting this tank on Easter, it won't be ready in a week. You need to fully cycle it and save yourself the time, money and heartache of losing fish. Look into the nitrogen cycle and study up since you have some time before you get it. Trust me, it is worth the time for you and your wet pets.

Tags
chi, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com