New to chichlids thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcannelis

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would be better to get in new 34g tank. Chichlids or angelfish or possibly even barbs. Which are easier. Which is better able to breed and lastly what should I do with guppies after. Prob gonna leave in 15g

Most people say African cichlids need to bee in at least a 55. Not sure about Angels and Barbs

Angels prefer to be in tall tanks but I think 34 gallons are doable. People recommend at least 20g for schools of barbs.

Tiger barbs are slightly difficult to breed in my opinion. You could have kribensis as cichlids in a 34 gallon and they are quite easy to breed in my opinion. Great parents and interesting fish to watch.

The schichlids I was thinking about we're African chichlids (sm) from petsmart It says 29g minimum

The schichlids I was thinking about we're African chichlids (sm) from petsmart It says 29g minimum

Unfortunately, they're not going to work. They could possibly be in a 29g when they're small but when they're larger and more mature, they will require at least 55g. They get very aggressive when they're large.

Of you like the look of cichlids there are numerous species of what's referred to as "dwarf cichlids" as I believe another poster has mentioned already. There are (don't grade me on spelling here) apistos, rams and (I think) kilifish would fall into that category as well. They all have numerous different types inside each species too. Bolivian,golden,electric blue.. I think if you want cichlids those would be the best fit for the size of your tank without having to eventually upgrade.

Dont ever go by petsmart tank size requirements. They are way way off with this. I would at least double the tank size that they recomend.

Of you like the look of cichlids there are numerous species of what's referred to as "dwarf cichlids" as I believe another poster has mentioned already. There are (don't grade me on spelling here) apistos, rams and (I think) kilifish would fall into that category as well. They all have numerous different types inside each species too. Bolivian,golden,electric blue.. I think if you want cichlids those would be the best fit for the size of your tank without having to eventually upgrade.

Then that's probably what I'll do

I have settled on rams and after I get the tank on Easter they'll be in there a week later

If you are getting this tank on Easter, it won't be ready in a week. You need to fully cycle it and save yourself the time, money and heartache of losing fish. Look into the nitrogen cycle and study up since you have some time before you get it. Trust me, it is worth the time for you and your wet pets.

If you are getting this tank on Easter, it won't be ready in a week. You need to fully cycle it and save yourself the time, money and heartache of losing fish. Look into the nitrogen cycle and study up since you have some time before you get it. Trust me, it is worth the time for you and your wet pets.

Will do and thanks for tip.

Watch the tiger barbs with long finned fish such as angels, mine nipped one till it looked like a triangle....i saved him but the tiger barbs got kicked out

Back
Top Bottom