New to chiclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, recently acquired a juwel vision 180 and someone have given me some cichlids as i thought id give it a go. I know theres 2 bolivian rams for sure, i also ave 2 that look like rams but are bigger have bigger heads look like threadfin acara to me and also i have a Malawi ciclid thats bright yellow. I know the rams and acara looking fish are community cichlids. The yellow malawi keeps swimming with them but then having a little nip then swimming with them again. Is this anything to worry about? I also have a small common pleco in there can they co exist?

sorry for the spelling of Cichlids in the title was a typo and i cannot change it.

Thanks in advance

Cichlids are awesome I have a large synspilum (profile pic) in a juwel vision 450 tank I had other fish with him but he killed off every last one so he's on his own at the mo, I've had him 14 years now - check my profile page for pics

Hi all, recently acquired a juwel vision 180 and someone have given me some cichlids as i thought id give it a go. I know theres 2 bolivian rams for sure, i also ave 2 that look like rams but are bigger have bigger heads look like threadfin acara to me and also i have a Malawi ciclid thats bright yellow. I know the rams and acara looking fish are community cichlids. The yellow malawi keeps swimming with them but then having a little nip then swimming with them again. Is this anything to worry about? I also have a small common pleco in there can they co exist?

sorry for the spelling of Cichlids in the title was a typo and i cannot change it.

Thanks in advance

Some Africans can kill pleco like jewels my Kenyi does not like my big 14in pleco and he tries to bite his head but he doesn't do anything to the pleco

i only have one malawi with 4 american at the min so its not too bad, i have a 200L community tank that allready has a bolivian and german rams in so ill move them to there and just have malawi. Can tanganyika mix with malawi? A few sites selling them both say they can mix? What would be the best Malawi for me im wanting blue and red and yellow ? And how many can i get in my 180L? Iv read that you should over stock a little with cichlids,

Your Bright yellow Cichlid is probably a Yellow lab (Labidochromis caeruleus) and he/she will kill your rams given time.Its far too aggressive to be housed with rams.I would suggest rehoming the lab or the rams.

These are the fish that look like rams but there a lot bigger could anyone id them please? I also got a quick snap of the yellow malawi if anyone could tell me more

Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• image-2101123316.jpg
    image-2101123316.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2634856431.jpg
    image-2634856431.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image-900636818.jpg
    image-900636818.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1620579447.jpg
    image-1620579447.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 67
Not Rams they are eartheaters of some sort and your Malawi Mbuna is a red Zebra (Metriaclima estherae).They may be ok together but he may still kill your eartheaters.

Your earth eaters and zebra will kill your actually rams. They pleco will be okay with them though. I am guessing its 180 gallons or liters?

I have taken the other fish out now just the yellow one and 2 others iv got today heres the picture

Attachments

• image-1114559114.jpg
    image-1114559114.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 55
Forgot to mention someone has offered me some more for free heres the pictures hes sent me theres 2 of each of these will they be compatible with what i have? There all baby between 3-5cm at present same with the 2 i have allready

Attachments

• image-2705678540.jpg
    image-2705678540.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image-1445804235.jpg
    image-1445804235.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-95734404.jpg
    image-95734404.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image-65796044.jpg
    image-65796044.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 44
Sorry this is the other one iv realized they look a little different

Attachments

• image-3379518216.jpg
    image-3379518216.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 54
Forgot to mention someone has offered me some more for free heres the pictures hes sent me theres 2 of each of these will they be compatible with what i have? There all baby between 3-5cm at present same with the 2 i have allready

Your taking a bit of a risk mixing Peacocks and Mbuna and its likely your peacocks will never fully colour up because the Boisterous Mbuna will dominate them.You may get away with it though.My best advice would be to try doing a little more research before you get fish to see if they're compatible or not.

Thats why i asked i dont actually have them yet i was a bit hit and miss one to get them or not

Thats why i asked i dont actually have them yet i was a bit hit and miss one to get them or not

That's great good to see your thinking about your fish mix before you get them.What I would do if I were you would decide which type of Cichlid you want to keep IE Mbuna,Haps,Peacocks.These are your main groups of Lake Makawi Cichlids.All nice fish but not necessarily compatible.
There are 2 other main Cichlid lakes in Africa too
Lake Victoria and Lake Tanganiyka these also have some very beautiful Cichlids.
Then you have your new world Cichlids mainly from Southern and Central America my personal Favourites but some get very large so you may want to rule those out.Not all though so take a look.Your Eartheaters are found throughout South America.
You will also find some Asian Cichlids too.
I would personally advise against mixing cichlids from different continents.It can be done but it has its risks compatibility wise.
Anyway have a good look and decide which type you want to keep.
Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the info :) iv decided im just having Malawi cichlids the american ones are re homed in my 200L community tank.

Back
Top Bottom